Thermostat lock

Jeff Horton

I love my job. Your get to see some creative ideas. I think I may patent this one! Tired of the wife and kids constantly running the thermostat up and down. Here is a cure for that!

thermo.jpg

We do to Ken. My buddy has an HVAC business. He was telling me about two really nice new thermostats. One is a remote that you carry from room to room. Great for homes that vary in temp from room to room.

But the best on is one that you can program the min and max temps on. Regardless of what the operator turns it to, you can override it but no one but you knows. :D

He was telling me he had a client that has a rental unit. The tenants would always set the thermo at 50 degrees so the unit always ran. It would freeze up and he would have to make a service call and there was nothing wrong. The tenants wouldn't listen and he was tired of it. So he installed one of these units, programmed it so that it wouldn't go below 65 or something like that. The tenants can keep it set on 50 and now the unit doesn't freeze up and the house is cold too. He doesn't waste his time of the owners money. Everyone is happy too. I think I need one of those!

You know, I bet your wife and kids know where to get a "key" for that "lock." :D

Our programmable stat allows you to move the temp up and down from buttons on the front, but at the next program change it reverts back to the programmed value. There's a hold button inside the front cover to override that function, but I'm the only one in the house who really know how to use it. :D

The office building I used to work in had the thermostats connected back to a computer in the server room. You could change the setpoint locally, but the computer would just set it right back.

I used to live with a room mate who always wanted the temp higher than I did (and I was paying the utility bills). I simply tweaked the adjustment screw on the analog thermometer part of the thermostat and added about 5º to the reading. When he was comfortable at what he thought was 80º, I was comfortable knowing it was really 75º. ;)