OT- Small Origami Cranes

Stuart Ablett

Well, this is not exactly woodworking, but it is rather creative, I think.........

My youngest daughter, Mizuki, has been doing a fair bit of Origami, she seems to have a talent for it :dunno:

She showed me these.........

small_crane.JPG small_cranes.JPG

........yep, that is a real US quarter sitting there with them little cranes on them.

I was really impressed, so she showed me how she makes them, uses only her hands, no toothpick etc.

As I said, I know it is not woodworking, but it impressed the heck out of me :D :wave:

Cheers!

I just found out you can download, print off and make Oragami stuff via the Microsoft Publisher that most computers come bundled with.

Just click on START at the bottom of your screen
Click on All Programs
Search for Microsoft Publisher (on most computers made after 1997)
It takes a second but it pops up
Then scroll down through the drop down box on the left side of the screen
At the very bottom is Origami click on that
Chose from a Cup, Crane, Parrot or Boat

As a side note, making the paper airplanes found just above the Origami ones is fun. Flying one into the spouses head while she watches TV generates a few laughs too and a trip to the doghouse:rofl:

... Search for Microsoft Publisher (on most computers made after 1997)...
Umm...not really. Publisher is a program that might have been bundled with others included by the manufacturers of most of the computers you've run across since 1997, but it's not on most computers.

Still, it's a cool suggestion for those who do have the program.

Hi Stu :wave:,
Marvelous, wonderful, continue to encourage Mizuki. It is a wonderful art form that stands by itself.

They are beautiful and would be easy to ship if sold for "BIG BUCKS"! :D Be careful though, you don't want her getting to the place where she is doing it for the money rather than the fun. :eek:

Consider this Stu........turn something :dunno:, add some little nooks, perch or shelf, throw in some gold leaf to the nook and add bird! That way you could sub contract work from Mizuki, pay her, send 1099 tax form to her for money received, and deduct from your payroll what you would have already given her (just cause you are her daddy and daughters need money:thumb:) and so......Start a family business with tax advantages too. :rolleyes:
Too much java??:rofl:
They are worthy of praise! :thumb:
Shaz:)

Wow, those are beautiful! I have a pair of origami earrings, so detailed and delicate. Tell her I think her work is lovely. Must have tiny, tiny fingers and good eyes.

As for topic... Paper is made from trees, so I'd say it could sort of, kinda, maybe, possibly be closely related to, but not quite the same as, woodworking.

Maybe. :)

Well thanks everyone, Mizuki is thrilled at all the kind words!

She upped her game.............

micro_crane1.JPG micro_crane2.JPG

Now on this one, she did use a needle, but man, that is small! :wave:

Stu, why you show U.S. and Canadian currency, any place take that over there?:)

Those are really nice tell her she did an awesome job.

Stu, why you show U.S. and Canadian currency, any place take that over there?:)

Those are really nice tell her she did an awesome job.

Well Aaron, if I showed it beside a 500 yen coin, most would have no idea how big a 500 yen coin is, right?

My wife collect a few coins, nothing special, just stuff she likes, she has a very modest collection of coins from all over Asia, as well as some European countries, the States and Canada too.

In my wallet I have Japanese, Canadian, American, and Euro currency, just small bills that I hung on to after a few visits.

Glad you guys liked the cranes, Mizuki is really tickled with all the attention.

Cheers!

Good eyes and skillful hands

I started doing origami as a child and used to try to make the smallest crane possible but I never achieved anything so tiny as your daughter. About 10 years ago I folded over 600 cranes while my future mother-in-law completed the rest of the thousand (married a sansei gal). I did them in different sizes and colors and arranged them on a backing. As this was pre-digital photo time I don't have a pix handy but I'll try to get a shot tomorrow 'cause I know you folks love images.

I hadn't seen the pics of the second go-round until tonight. That's amazingly small. Pass along another "very well done" from me to Mizuki. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mizuki, you have REAL Talent, and must have a Lot of Patience as well to do those so nicely, and Stu........you SHOULD be Proud of both her talent AND industriousness. (Guess it DOES run in the Family, eh)?:thumb:

Hey Stu,

Yup, the talent runs in the family. My humble congrats to Mizuki. Fine work. I think Shaz has a good idea for her work. Give it a try Dad.

I used to be able to do intricate model work and fine pinstriping on bikes and cars, and all the gold leaf on fire engines, but the eyes have gone bad enough and glasses seem to distort too much so I just look at the great works of others and "remember when".

Vaughn, I agree with you on the Publisher program. I have a new (a few months old) Gateway desktop running Vista Home Premium and it's not included on it. I'd like to have it though.

Aloha, Tony