A New Start

Jack Tanner

Well Everyone, here goes. I have lurked around here for quite a while, even posted a couple of times over on the flat side. A couple of weeks ago I ordered a new Nova 1624-44 with a supernova 2 chuck with several of the jaws and a set of beginners tools from Lees valley. Here are the first things to come of the lathe. Please don't laugh, but if you do, enjoy it. In the picture of the lathe there is a bed extension made to hold the tail stock with a 28 inch drill bit. I have a man from Washington State coming to Arkansas to teach me to build flutes. Anyway, to make a long story short I hope to be around here for a while. Give me something to do in my old age. Jack:wave:

Attachments

• Thing 1 and  Thing 2 #1.JPG
    Thing 1 and Thing 2 #1.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 99
  • New Lathe.JPG
    New Lathe.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 99
Hi Jack, welcome to the spinny side :D :wave:

I've heard good things about that lathe, I think for the price, it is hard to beat. I have the Nova DVR 3000, got a good deal on it used, and it was before the 1624 came out.

The first two turnings look like bonkers to me, and that is what is required to come off you lathe first! :thumb:

Cheers!

Hi, Jack, welcome to the Turning side of the Family.:thumb:
If I had to pick I'd have to say I like thing 2 better.:rofl::rofl:
Also, looks like a nice shop you have, from the little I can see.:D

Thanks for the remark about the shop, I always feel like its a little lacking, even though I have just about everything a man could ask for in there, it's about 28 x 38, I think have a great day. Jack

Hi, Jack, welcome to the Turning side of the Family.:thumb:
If I had to pick I'd have to say I like thing 2 better.:rofl::rofl:
Also, looks like a nice shop you have, from the little I can see.:D

Hi Jack, welcome to the spinny side :D :wave:

I've heard good things about that lathe, I think for the price, it is hard to beat. I have the Nova DVR 3000, got a good deal on it used, and it was before the 1624 came out.

The first two turnings look like bonkers to me, and that is what is required to come off you lathe first! :thumb:

Cheers!
Stu, thanks for telling me what those are, I didn't know. Jack

Welcome Jack to the turning side of wood. Great start with a great lathe. I have the Nova DVR XP. I think the 1624 is a excellent lathe for the money. Looks like you got a good start turning. I remember my first were just about like yours and as my granddad always told me you gotta start from scratch sometime. I saved my first turning, my first bowl, first lidded box, etc. just so I could look back at where I started. Shop looks good Jack.

Welcome to the spinny side of town, Jack. :wave: That's a fine pair of bonkers you've made there. Clean, classic, understated lines, yet the full functionality is retained. :p

As Stu said, pretty much everybody starts out with a bonker or two. I have my first one in the kitchen. By keeping it there, hopefully LOML will grab it instead of a rolling pin when it comes time for my beatin'. :D

Welcome to the spinny side of town, Jack. :wave: That's a fine pair of bonkers you've made there. Clean, classic, understated lines, yet the full functionality is retained. :p

As Stu said, pretty much everybody starts out with a bonker or two. I have my first one in the kitchen. By keeping it there, hopefully LOML will grab it instead of a rolling pin when it comes time for my beatin'. :D

Vaughn, thanks so much for those kind words, funny you should bring up that about the kitchen, thats where my second one is, I thought I would frame the first one for my living room wall. Jack

Hey, Jack,

That set up is way cool. Wish I had something like that!

You done real good with those bonkers! My first piece didn't even survive the ride on the lathe! I almost didn't either! If nothing whizzed past your head on the way to orbit, you're doing pretty good so far!

Hmmm... flutes! Never thought of them! That would be quite a trick... ;)

Check this out: http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/making.html . I hope you process is less complicated than his... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
You need a long drill bit? Check out this thread:
http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7806 ;)
Welcome to FW, your name caught my attention. Don't know why, maybe we have crossed paths, or swords, somewhere. I'm in Mountain Home, not real close to you. Just need a couple more from Arkansas and we can take over this place. :eek:
Looking forward to seeing some completed flutes. I believe we have a number of flute makers in the state, no need to import one from across the continent.

Frank I agree with the Arkansas thing. I'll start recruiting right away. Did you ever think about making harpoon out of that thing? Anyone who collects old tools or unusual tools should jump on that. Jack

Welcome to the Vortex Jack! As the originator of the Official Idaho Salmon bonker......I'd say you did a great job on them!

Enjoy the ride and the learning process. Turning is a kick in the pants!

Jack - Welcome to the Turning side of the family! Lots of very talented folks here - so if you have any questions I am sure someone here can help. Have fun turning and watch out - it gets addicting real quick!

jack, i'll add my welcome too...i'm also new to turning and bought the same lathe a short time ago. i've found that's just the downpayment on this 'hobby'. a power hood and tools add up quickly. also instructions for sharpening and using the tools are important. some can be found online for free or, if you're lucky enough to have a club in the area, that would be a good source.

have fun and be safe,

Boy, it's great to receive so much encourgement. And Gee, who would have though I would even start with the right project. Clark, you are so right about the cost. I told the LOML that just doubleing the cost of the lathe, and we could have a nice set up. Boy!! WHAT WAS I THINKING!! If it wasn't for needing my other tools for support for the lathe, I could just about sell them. This side of woodworking looks to be a lot of fun. I am looking forward to start learning. Thanks to everyone. Jack

Welcome, Jack!! I'm new to spinny stuff, too. I am also a flute player from way back. ;) Good luck with your hobby. This stuff can get pricey real quick!! I'm considering purchasing a Barracuda2 chuck and a pen jig. Hope to see some more pics from your projects.