Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	78

for this pickup truck:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1106 640.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	76

The bowl is about 10 1/2" x 5 1/2", ironbark red eucalyptus (with some bonus curl) finished with wipe-on poly and hand-buffed with paste wax. So far, it's the biggest and best bowl I've made, despite having a large crack that had to be filled with epoxy/coffee, and breaking the tenon off and having to epoxy a temporary one on to finish turning the inside.

The truck is a 1997 4x4 Ford Ranger, 4.0L 5-speed XLT package. Also has a nearly-new Tommy Lift tailgate as a bonus. It's got about 230K miles on it, but the previous owner (my dad) drove the bulk of those miles on the highway, and was meticulous with the service intervals.

I think I did pretty good, but my dad thinks he did pretty good. He just moved into a new place, and he had an empty shelf that needed a bowl, so he asked me to make him one. Then. after he heard me mention a while back that I wanted to get a used truck to use as a lumber hauler to keep from tearing up my Lexus SUV, he decided he didn't need the truck any more, so he gave it to me. (He's getting to the age where he really has no business driving, especially a pickup with a stick shift. Oh well, one vehicle at a time, we'll wean him away from behind the wheel.) I used the trip to New Mexico to pick up the pickup as my chance to give him the bowl for his new house. Having lost my mom recently, any chance I get to spend with my dad is a good thing. This weekend was a good trip.

Hey Vaughn, you did good and so did your dad. Just from the aspect of being able to spend time together, you did good. The bowl probably has extra value in his eyes as it was made by his son...crack or no crack. The bowl!! The bowl! Sheesh, I always trip myself up.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Congrats on the new lumber hauler and I have to agree that spending time with our parents is a good thing. I lost my dad sometime ago and still miss him.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Vaughn,
    While I cannot see the pics yet, I do sympathize with you in the weaning of your aging father from to wheel… I had to do that too.

Don't even want to think about losing my mom...

Best to you,
    Frank Chaffee
    Last edited by Frank Chaffee; 11-01-2006 at 10:34 PM.

Man that bowl looks great, and so does the truck...............for a Ford

I envy you being able to spend time with your Dad, that is the one thing I dislike the most about living here in Japan, I'll just too far away to visit as often as I'd like, but at least I send my kids to see them every Christmas, while I work like a rented mule..........

Cheers!

nice trade vaughn!

Seems like a good deal for the two of you.

Richard

Nice trade. Seems like you are a jack of all trades. or make that a Vaughn.

What a trade, what a bowl. Lots of things to be proud of. Time with your dad is priceless.
    I once heard that cats and women will do darn well what they please and that men and dogs would do well to accept it and just go on.

Vaughn, awsome bowl, good deal. You did good, and well.