Speaking of Woodlot Wood...

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum community. I just wanted to let you know that Grand Rapids, MI (where I live) has a huge tree/brush dumping site. For $25 I can haul away as much wood as I like for a few weeks. I have not taken advantage of it yet, mainly because I already have a ton of wood, and I live in the city. But last Fall the dump had HUGE trees, such as sycamore, oak, hard and soft maple, and box elder. Some were 40" in diameter and already spalted!! So, I would like to extend an open invitation. If anyone is wanting wood to try very large turning, let me know. I can go for a visit, see what's available, and get a permit if you want something. I would be willing to do all of this for $10 plus the cost of shipping. (I would do it for only the cost of shipping, but I am so poor I can't afford the $25 permit). This is not an attempt to make money, simply a service to fellow turners.

Thanks y'all!

Hutch

Hey Hutch, great offer, and welcome aboard. I suspect I'm also a bit far away to consider shipping big blanks, but there may be others closer to Grand Rapids who can benefit. :thumb:

The wood dump sounds like a candy store. :D

That is quite the offer. I am neither a turner, nor do I really need wood at this point, but as I said, that is indeed a generous offer.

Not to steer the post elsewhere, but you would be amazed at the wood that is wasted in this country. Actually, you would be amazed at how much wood I have wasted. Back when I was logging professionally, it was understood that we were cutting softwood. If a hardwood tree was in the way, you cut it down, but never put a chocker around it and dragged it out. It literally laid on the forest and rotted,and this was on paper company land and sanctioned by the company's foresters. Its just how things were done. Today they take everything but the roots, and I am glad of that. We wasted a lot of wood with that practice.

On my own land, I am a lot more prudent. I built my shop almost completely (75% or better) with trees that the wind uprotted or blew over. If you catch them before they get punky, you can get some nice usable boards and framing material out of them.

Here is a picture of one of those trees. Its a big Spruce that fell over into my hackmatack tree plantation.

Blow_Down2.JPG

Hutch, that's a great offer! I think shipping would be too much to get pieces all the way over here to the East, though. I too am too un-rich to afford purchasing wood from most places. I've been known to lurk around the local tree guys waiting for some good pieces from what they take down. ;)

Welcome to the forums!!

Welcome to the forum, I'm a newbee also, this is a great place to hang out. Wish shipping wasn't so expensive, I'd take ypu up on your offer. Last two items I ordered the shipping wa way more than what I paid for what I ordered!!:(