Making box (or finger) joints question

I'd save your money personally. I am not a big box joint fan. It's only because of the saleability and overall reaction to them by customers...

"Oh, finger joints, that's nice."

Where as if you just tip your cuts by a few degrees, you get dovetails and the reaction turns into this for the same amount of work really.

"Wow, look at this Edith, dovetail joints".

:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

Travis, for some reason my wife is just the opposite. She really likes box joints, but dovetails do nothing for her. (I know, she's a strange unit.) :rolleyes:

I still say if you're going to make box joints, the Freud set is a great tool to make them with.

Travis, for some reason my wife is just the opposite. She really likes box joints, but dovetails do nothing for her. (I know, she's a strange unit.) :rolleyes:

I still say if you're going to make box joints, the Freud set is a great tool to make them with.

I agree, people buying from me seem to love the finger joints (although they do like the dovetails as well). I like to round over the edges slightly for a softer look to the finger joints. I have the Freud set and use it all the time.

Nothing strange about her at all. Finger joints can be beautiful, if the right wood is used (I like contrasting woods) and if the spacing is fine. By fine, I mean quite close. I am not a big fan of the big chunky box joints I have seen in the past.

Myself, I don't do box joints because I am a hand tool only kind of guy. It would take way to long to make box joints by hand, when simple dovetail joints are less work and get the "wow" factor from most customers. The key word is MOST, and I think I am safe in saying that. Nothing wrong with your wife being different though, everyone knows I am :)