What a morning!!

Jeff Horton

This has been ONE OF THOSE mornings!! I put a new battery in my truck but considering it has 300K on it I expect some issues. But the new battery hasn't helped. Still doesn't want to crank and I have checked the charging system. So has a guy I trust too and we were stumped.

Anyway it cranks this morning but barely. I head the house I am to inspect. It's very old house so I know it's going to be a bear. But I priced it accordingly. I get there and go to unlock the door. Our MLS system now has these high tech lock boxes that you open with an electronic key. You have to put it in a cradle to charge it and update it every night or it won't work. Mine has been in the cradle for 5 days now. I hit the button and it gives me a low battery error and shuts off.

OK I have been having problem. MLS office is 10 minutes away. I am going to get a new key. Drive to the office, it's closed till Friday! :mad: Now I am really annoyed. I go to the truck and guess what, it won't start, battery is acting dead. Figure I have nothing to loose and keep trying and to my amazement it fires up. OK, first thing is call the Agent. Not in the office and no answer on her Cell. :mad: Drive 20+ miles and can't get in the house. I am ticked.

OK heading to my mechanic. He is close by. Turns out that brand new battery is bad. So at least one thing goes right. He replaces the battert.

Call Realtor and finally I give up and head back to the office. Stop to UPS a package and Realtor finally contacts me but I have driven 15+ miles away from the house. Turns out she lives nearby and offers to open the house for me. So I turn around and FINALLY get to start my inspection. Almost 2 hours late. :bang:

This would have been the perfect Monday!!

EDIT: I forgot to add that it is snowing. Do you know how rare it is for it snow here? And how cold it has to be? :guitar:

Last edited:
On the bright side. maybe you got all the bad stuff out of the way for the day, and your afternoon will be peachy. Or, maybe the morning was just the precursor to the nasty surprises awaiting you this afternoon.

(I hope your day chose Option #1.)

SNOW! In Alabama!!! Unheard of!!! My sympathies, Jeff. Here in New Mexico, it's bright, sunny, and gorgeous, and the thermometer outside my shop (in the shade) is currently reading 61--with a little breeze chilling down the air. I'm thinking that spring has sprung here at 5000-plus feet. (hope, hope, hope). I had enough cold weather in Minneapolis week before last to last me the rest of the year!!!

Nancy

Some days it's like that Jeff!

Recently I had a work situation where I needed to do something and it failed on Thursday before a holiday. I ordered everything I needed but one part wouldn't get here until Saturday. This supercon magnet was getting warm and reaching the point where it might "quench". My counterpart went to Spokane Friday evening for the company Christmas party. Saturday his wife wanted to shop. So while I'm sweating blood.....we changed it on Sunday. Should have taken about 4 1/2 hours but everything bad that could possibly happen during the change out happened. It took us 12 hours instead of 4 1/2 hours. .....and I didn't know for 3 days if we managed to prevent the "quench" from happening. We did.

Somedays are just that way.....:(

This supercon magnet was getting warm and reaching the point where it might "quench". .....and I didn't know for 3 days if we managed to prevent the "quench" from happening. We did.

In the 9 years that I was at my last job, the 4T magnet quenched twice, and I never saw it. It is supposed to look very cool (from outside) with all the helium boiling out of the quench pipes.

I know, it's a very bad thing for the magnet itself, but it still would have been cool to be outside at just that moment.

Art,

In 21 years I've only been involved in 2 quenches. One was intentional....we had to shut it down to remove it. The power supply we normally use to ramp it down.....in pre-use testing, the p/s burned up and the semi was waiting outside and the contractors were in the hallway waiting. I tripped the Emergency Rundown Unit and we ran outside. It really wasn't that impressive.

The other one happened at 3:00 a.m. 2 weeks ago and nobody saw it happen.

I tripped the Emergency Rundown Unit and we ran outside. It really wasn't that impressive.

Might depend on the amount of helium. This was a 4T whole-body magnet. I used to know how many liters they used... Hmm, they filled that thing with at least two of those 4' diameter by 5' tall helium dewars. There was a LOT of helium in it. Oh well, you're right that in some ways it's just a lot of steam.

...art

ps: Jeff, there's snow all over the place here, it was -8 yesterday, which is a bit unseasonable, but it means we get another week out of the back yard rink, so that's good. (Monday it's going to +5c, so the rink may begin dying then...)