Still wishing for the Donny and Jeff Reunion ?

Us old dudes know Jeff's had plenty of hits, kicked off Rod's career, played with Carmine and Tim from the old Vanilla Fudge, almost became a Rolling Stone, hung with Stevie and so on. Man, its scary the random knowledge you accumulate once you've been dragging around this rock for awhile. But the Donny and Jeff show . . . classic.

I'd never seen this video. Cool stuff. :thumb: Funny, but cool.

I learned more about playing lead guitar one summer from the Blow by Blow album than any other single thing in my guitar-playing career. (30+ years later I can still remember how to play 'Cause We've Ended as Lovers' pretty much note for note.) Jeff Beck is the man.

...I learned more about playing lead guitar one summer from the Blow by Blow album than any other single thing in my guitar-playing career....

Mine was the Jeff Beck Group album (the no-title one with the fruit on the cover). Had to start off with the slow ones and work my way up to Goin Down. The guy is one of a kind.

Last edited:
Mine was the Jeff Beck Group album (the no-tile one with the fruit on the cover). Had to start off with the slow ones and work my way up to Goin Down. The guy is one of a kind.
Yeah, Scatterbrain was a good finger warmup. I'd imagine Goin' Down would be a lot the same. Great tune.

One things that's always impressed me is how he has seemed to always be trying new styles and sounds, yet you could still recognize it was Jeff Beck. There are a lot of albums between Blow By Blow, and I've only heard bits and pieces of them, but I do have You Had It Coming (is that still his most recent?), and it rocks. (I also like the fact that Imogen Heap is on the record too.)

Yeah, Scatterbrain was a good finger warmup. I'd imagine Goin' Down would be a lot the same. Great tune.

One things that's always impressed me is how he has seemed to always be trying new styles and sounds, yet you could still recognize it was Jeff Beck. There are a lot of albums between Blow By Blow, and I've only heard bits and pieces of them, but I do have You Had It Coming (is that still his most recent?), and it rocks. (I also like the fact that Imogen Heap is on the record too.)

Good thing this is in the OT section because we have wandered far from WWing. I listen to music of all kinds and everyday. I love digging up new artists and finding ones I missed. How did I skip over Imogen Heap? Thanks for mentioning her Vaughn. This little piece of performance art is just fantastic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSIbfzK2spg

It's like suddenly finding Jill Yan and asking yourself "where did this guy come from". Or walking into a club on Pine Street in Long Beach and hearing a guy just tearing up a Dobro with Banjo picks duct taped to his fingers (Eric Sardinas) only to later discover him on a CD playing with Johnny Winter.

Ain't music grand?

P.s. Speaking of great guitar solos (and there are sooo many) check out Johnny Winter's solo on 'Cheap Tequila' off the 'Still Alive and Well' album. Got to be one of the most perfect examples of that style I have ever heard. Like Randy's solo on Crazy Train or Eric's solo on Crossroads; whenever I hear it, I stop what I'm doing and turn it up.

Last edited:
Cool Imogen video, Glenn. Thanks. Of course one YouTube link leads to another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cpSv2mNhhc

When I first hear this song, and literally had to pull my car over and start it from the beginning so I could listen to it more closely. I've seen her do a live version of this song, but the studio version is more impressive to me.
I first discovered her by listening to RadioParadise.com. She was in a group called Frou Frou that caught my attention. Different style than most of what I listen to, but something caught my attention. Tina Dico is another singer that RadioParadise turned me on to.

I'll have to track down the 'Cheap Tequila' solo. :thumb:

Not for all tastes...what is? but if you like modern blues/rock you should check out Grace Potter & the Nocturnals. A relatively new band out of Vermont, they blow me away with their talent. Potter is a gifted song writer/singer and the band members are first rate. I heard them a few weeks ago on MusicHD and have since bought everything that they have. Their studio music is excellent as is their live stuff. I don’t know if they have made the big city radio circuit yet - (they haven’t made the airways in Albuquerque, no big surprise). :(
If you have a few hours…check them out.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=grace+potter&search_type=

You can hear their studio recordings here:
http://www.gracepotter.com/

Last edited:
Not for me but I am kind of anal when it comes to music I know if I like a group in the first 15 seconds if I like the voice I'll give a good listen. If I don't like the voice I'll never listen to them. Hey I can't stand rolling stones or beatles or
Eric Clapton. I am very particular.

Hey I can't stand rolling stones or beatles or
Eric Clapton. I am very particular.

Interesting. I can even find 1 or 2 rap songs that I can listen to. German opera and whiney C&W don't do much for me but, no Clapton? Its a world gone mad :rofl: Dug the Nocturnals stuff, Forwarded it to my daughter. She makes a hobby of finding something I haven't already heard which is fine by me . . . win-win, eh?

Rap no dam way. what the heck is all that talking. Music is for singing not talking
C&W forget it when I was a kid we had to go with my parents every Sunday so they could go square dancing I got a firm dislike for all country.
Bruse,
I did say I was kind of anal when it comes to music.

One of the singers I do like her name is Lara Fabian she has a sensual voice of Toni Braxton with the power of Celine Dion.

Last edited:
Hey Chuck - just glad you're here. I was starting to feel like I'd been called into the principal's office or something. Two moderators, and Administrator and me:eek:

Guys - this one ain't Rock&Roll, Rap, or whiney C&W but if you're into Latin Jazz check out Eddie Palmieri
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3d2e-Ek9O8
I'm always surprised at the number of Jazz fans that have never heard of him.

Hey Chuck - just glad you're here. I was starting to feel like I'd been called off behind the gym or something. A rocket mechanic, two old rock and rollers, and me:eek:...
Fixed that for ya. :rofl:

I'll have to check out the Eddie Palmieri video when it's not way past my shower time. :wave: :zzz: