A few projects

Doug Sinjem

Just thought I would post a few pics of the last job I did. The are for a clubhouse on Catalina Island. One is a paint grade bath vanity with bead board doors and end panel. The other is an oak dressing table that takes a glass top and the other is a cubicle cabinet for shoe and clothes storage also out of oak. As with all my projects I don't do the finish, I just deliver it to the finisher. Since these are going to Catalina Island I won't be doing the install either, it will be done by the contractor. I post the pics in no particlular order just thought I'd share.

I know Shaz was asking about the moulding head I used for the beadboard on my last project so there's a picture of that. And Chris Mire and I discussed some mitered faceframes that there too.

P1010001.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010006.jpg

P1010007.jpg

P1010008.jpg

P1010009.jpg

P1010010.jpg

P1010012.jpg

P1010013.jpg

P1010014.jpg

Doug

doug, i don't mean to hijack, but since we talked about this and i promised you a picture, here is how another cabinet guy handled putting using mitered doors for end panels.

panel2.JPG

That's a creative way to do the doors, or is that an end panel? I'm set up for doors, so we just make shaker frames and rabbet or reverse raise the panel to fit the grooves.

I like the magic moulder for beads and V-groove. We do cabinet backs and door panels with it.

I love seeing pictures of your shop!

doug, i don't mean to hijack, but since we talked about this and i promised you a picture, here is how another cabinet guy handled putting using mitered doors for end panels.

View attachment 18209

Glad you posted the pic. Doing finished end panels with face frame cabinets can be a little trckey to look right. I see what you are talking about. Looks like he made the end panel frame the same dimensions of the face frame rails so it matched...good idea.

I'm starting a job with face frames and the doors have a 4" thick rail and stile. So figuring out the end panel is giving me fits. I'll try and post pics when I figure it out.

Doug

John Rutter said:
I like the magic moulder for beads and V-groove. We do cabinet backs and door panels with it.

I love seeing pictures of your shop!

Thanks John....those magic moulders are pretty cool, lots of options with them.
Btw how do you like your straight line rip saw? I'm contemplating getting one but not sure which brand. Alot of them look identical...silver, extrema, grizzley etc. Does it leave a qulity cut? Can you throw some advice about purchasing one my way.

Doug

Just thought I would post a few pics of the last job I did. The are for a clubhouse on Catalina Island. One is a paint grade bath vanity with bead board doors and end panel. The other is an oak dressing table that takes a glass top and the other is a cubicle cabinet for shoe and clothes storage also out of oak. As with all my projects I don't do the finish, I just deliver it to the finisher. Since these are going to Catalina Island I won't be doing the install either, it will be done by the contractor. I post the pics in no particlular order just thought I'd share.

I know Shaz was asking about the moulding head I used for the beadboard on my last project so there's a picture of that. And Chris Mire and I discussed some mitered faceframes that there too.

Doug
Hi Doug :wave:,
Thank you for sharing all these photos with us. Most folks don't realize the effort you took, to take time out of the building process for the photographing of certain phases of the project, or is this one of those "give the plan" to billy, tayna, ricky, and juan to do while you do pictures? :rofl: Just kidding,:D.
The bisquit joining of the face frame on the 45° looks complicated. (I think that is what I am seeing.) How close to flush on both sides and on the top and bottom are you shooting for with the face frame? Only asking as I have never done the face frame thing. Just got a basic kreg system 2 years ago.
Anyhow, thanks for the posting, viewed several times but this was the first time I felt I had a real chance to respond.
Shaz :)
P.S. Shop tooo clean! Will be having open "CSSS" forum seminars on
#1 Clutter and it's value,
#2 Saving the small pieces,
#3 Sawdust has it's place,
#4 Scraps; awesome uses for the once discarded!
Please attend. :rolleyes::rofl:

Thank you for sharing all these photos with us. Most folks don't realize the effort you took, to take time out of the building process for the photographing of certain phases of the project, or is this one of those "give the plan" to billy, tayna, ricky, and juan to do while you do pictures? :rofl: Just kidding,:D.
The bisquit joining of the face frame on the 45° looks complicated. (I think that is what I am seeing.) How close to flush on both sides and on the top and bottom are you shooting for with the face frame? Only asking as I have never done the face frame thing. Just got a basic kreg system 2 years ago.
Anyhow, thanks for the posting, viewed several times but this was the first time I felt I had a real chance to respond.
P.S. Shop tooo clean! Will be having open "CSSS" forum seminars on
#1 Clutter and it's value,
#2 Saving the small pieces,
#3 Sawdust has it's place,
#4 Scraps; awesome uses for the once discarded!
Please attend. :rolleyes::rofl:

Hi Shaz,

The biggest pain is resizing al the pictures to post. I just grabbed the camera when I thought it was the right time for a picture.

The biscuiting the 45 degree face frame is actually pretty easy snd for this project it looked way better than a butt joint. I left about an 1/8 inch reveal on both sides of the shelfs/dividers so I didn't have to worry about flushing to many things up. I got some rough drawings and had to build and design as I went.

I'm actually getting quite a bit of clutter in the shop and I really hate throwing scrap away. I'm just getting ready to start a kitchen and just got 300 board feet of red birch and 22 sheets of hardrock maple melamine and am totally out of room. I had to put the sheet goods in my other building where my faceframe table is. So it's imperative I keep the shop somewhat organized. I either have to add on or get a bigger building...we'll see.

Thanks for looking

Doug

Beautiful work... I've looked at that magic molder in the past but I just havn't done enough of that kind of work to justify it. The wife wants some beaded panel wainscot though in the kitchen, and the $150 for the molder with a set of something like a P-21 cutter would pay for itself pronto. Always looking for an excuse to buy a new tool.

I agree, your shop is WAY too clean looking... I can actually see your floor:D

Hi Shaz,

The biggest pain is resizing al the pictures to post. I just grabbed the camera when I thought it was the right time for a picture. (there is an easy way to do that with "pixresizer". I have that icon on my desktop. All at one time then from the resized pic you can pic which ones to use. Vaughn showed me how and if I can do it... you can too!:D"... Let's call Vaughn!)

The biscuiting the 45 degree face frame is actually pretty easy and for this project it looked way better than a butt joint. I left about an 1/8 inch reveal on both sides of the shelfs/dividers so I didn't have to worry about flushing to many things up. I got some rough drawings and had to build and design as I went. (Thanks for this added info:thumb:)

I'm actually getting quite a bit of clutter in the shop and I really hate throwing scrap away. I'm just getting ready to start a kitchen and just got 300 board feet of red birch and 22 sheets of hardrock maple melamine ( I am familiar with melomine and it's weight:doh: but the "hard rock maple melomine I don't understand. What is the core and the surface?) and am totally out of room. I had to put the sheet goods in my other building where my faceframe table is. So it's imperative I keep the shop somewhat organized. I either have to add on or get a bigger building...we'll see.
Glad to hear you are employed once again with the new kitchen job!:D
Thanks for looking

Doug

Thanks for the input. Love those molding heads.

Beautiful work... I've looked at that magic molder in the past but I just havn't done enough of that kind of work to justify it. The wife wants some beaded panel wainscot though in the kitchen, and the $150 for the molder with a set of something like a P-21 cutter would pay for itself pronto. Always looking for an excuse to buy a new tool.

I agree, your shop is WAY too clean looking... I can actually see your floor:D

Thanks for the compliment Dave. I only have the one cutter for the moulder but will get more as needed.

When my wife comes in the shop she does the sweeping. Actually it's a good thing because I have to move stuff around to make room everytime I do an operation.

Doug

Hey Shaz,

The hardrock maple melamine is just like the "white" melamine you are familar with, just looks like maple. My supplier has about 30 different kinds of melamine. I like to use it for interiors because no finish is required, it's durable and easy to clean and stays straighter than plywood. It's all particle board core. I have used a little of the prefinished maple plywood but it's about twice the cost of melamine.

Right behind this kitchen I have a big entertainment unit for one job. Then after that I've got another kitchen, including two mantels, small ent. unit crown and base. So I guess I'll be busy:D

Doug

Years ago there was the occasion to use white and some black too, as I remember at least the 1/4" could be had on mdf:dunno:. They have made some serious advancments since then. That interior use is a great choice other than under the sink. Never knew the were doing the woodgrains.
From the sound of your work load you should surface about June.:rofl: That is a good thing:thumb:. Enjoy your input and seeing your work. Thanks,
P.S. Also..........Just noticed the picture resizing tutorial Vaughn wrote listed in a new thread. It is with pixresizer. Check it out!

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliment Dave. I only have the one cutter for the moulder but will get more as needed.

When my wife comes in the shop she does the sweeping. Actually it's a good thing because I have to move stuff around to make room everytime I do an operation.

Doug

Ok Doug... thanks to your post nudging me on, I jumped on Amazon and bought a molder and set of cutters for breadboard design, which will add some more capability in my shop. Thanks.

btw... my wife comes down and vacuums my (our?) shop often. She does have an ulterior motive though, the shop is a basement shop, and she knows that sawdust on the floor results in sawdust getting tracked upstairs. Very smart woman.

Ok Doug... thanks to your post nudging me on, I jumped on Amazon and bought a molder and set of cutters for breadboard design, which will add some more capability in my shop. Thanks.

btw... my wife comes down and vacuums my (our?) shop often. She does have an ulterior motive though, the shop is a basement shop, and she knows that sawdust on the floor results in sawdust getting tracked upstairs. Very smart woman.

Good job on buying the moulding head Dave...you will love it.

Doug