Trout Knife

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Tonight I finally got around to working on the trout knife kit that I bought for my dad. We were over at woodcrafts today and I found a piece of lace wood that I thought would look nice. I did take some step by step pics along the way, so here it goes...

1. Cut out the scales from the lace wood.
DSC01037.jpg

2. Epoxied one of the scales to the blade
DSC01043.jpg

3. When the epoxy dried, I drilled out holes for the pins using the holes in the blade as a guide.
DSC01044.jpg

4. I epoxied the other scale to the blade.
DSC01046.jpg

5. Using the holes drilled in the first scale as a guide, I drilled the holes thru the other scale.
DSC01047.jpg

6. I put some super-glue in each of the holes and drove the pins in with a hammer, then cut the excess off with a hack saw. Finally I spread the pins a little by hammering them on the anvil lightly.
DSC01048.jpg

7. Wearing leather gloves, I shaped the handle on the oscillating sander, filed and sanded to a smooth finish, then applied mineral oil to the handle.
DSC01050.jpg

DSC01051.jpg

Excellent! :thumb: Your dad's gonna love it. :clap: And thanks much for the picture series. I'm looking forward to trying one myself, and I suspect more will be on the way.

Looks like you got nailed by the build your own tools bug too huh? Nice looking knife, and an even better handle. When are you getting into hand planes? :)

Been looking for the knives for some lathe tools to build handles for. I bought some wood carving chisels a few years ago and made some cherry handles for them. Used some the 1/2" copper plumbing caps for the ends of the handle, turned out real nice (will post some pics when I get a few minutes in the shop again).

Here are the chisels, I bought the chisel blanks, turned the handles, drilled out the copper caps to slide the shafts through and epoxied them together. I've had them done for a while but thinking about sanding flats on the bottom of the chisels to keep them from rolling.

Attachments

• DSC01055.jpg
    DSC01055.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC01056.jpg
    DSC01056.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 6