Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entry Door

Entry Door

Should be flat enough to qualify

I've posted some of these over at WC, so they may look familiar to anyone who goes there too.

The door is Lyptus with wedged and pinned MT's, fit dry. I also dovetailed the jamb joints for easy reveal adjustment now and in the future. Lesson learned there: Only the lock side needs to be adjustable, as the hinges limit movement of the other side Ah, well, it was good pratice cutting four of those joints.

John
    Last edited by John Dow; 07-11-2008 at 02:21 AM.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Great looking door John.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Great door,

I like the design, seems to work well.

Very Kewl! I have always wanted to make a door too.

The word "hefty" comes to mind. Wow, that door has to weight a ton. It looks great. How did the tools hold up using the Lyptus? Pretty dense stuff isn't it?

Hefty it is. Weighs about 150# by my guess. Not too bad on the tools though, not in a class with teak anyway. We did the final planing with a #3 plane and a cambered blade to give it some texture and "age", and I did have to rehone several times per side. Interlocked grain also tends to be problematic with the hand tools, but in this case a little tearout adds character rather than detracting from the finished product.

This was the first time I've used bearing hinges, and I'm trying to figure out why they're made loose pin when you need another set of hands to hold the bearings in order to replace the pin. I ended up un-screwing the leaf instead.

Thanks for the compliments everyone, I would definitely recommend trying something like this to anyone on the fence, as it ends up being a lot of fun.

cool door john!
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Nicely done John. How did you like working with Lyptus? I use it for furniture. It is heavy! An I never got so many splinters in my hands!
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Hey John is that a straw bail hoouse your building
    Reg

Yep, straw bale. We managed to be building during the wettest summer in recent memory too, but we got through it.