Candy Apple Red, HF #15

Spalted white birch 7 ½” x 4 1/8” and sanded to 400 grit. It was then removed from the lathe and dyed with a blend of Ritz ‘Crimson Red’ and DNA. Placed back on the lathe it was lightly sanded and then hollowed. Several coats of thinned Minwax wipe-on poly was used to achieve the high gloss look I was after. Cracks were left as-is for effect.

HF #15 View 1.JPG HF #15 View 2.JPG HF #15 View 3.JPG HF #15 View 4.JPG

I appreciate any and all comments!

Thanks for looking! :wave:

Hi Steve, what a beauty boy, and very smooth and shiny.
I bet you had a lot of fun, right.
Great work Steve !!

Ad :thumb:

Thanks everyone - wasn't real sure the color would fly very well!

Sandy - the dye was applied with a 1" foam brush on the outside of the form only. I kept applying it until I had an even color - then wiped it down. About 10 minutes later I had it on the lathe and gave it a light sanding just to remove some of the raised grain and also to remove a little of the color so you could see the spalt and grain patterns.

Hi Steve :wave:,
The turners are right, it is a beautiful piece. :thumb:

The reflection on that high gloss in all 4 pictures is something that takes away from the beauty of the piece. I really want to cut through that reflection and see the piece in all it's glory. Wish I knew how that could be done.:dunno: It is so pretty and the color is exciting.:D
That photography is another profession altogether:doh:. Or :eek:, maybe it is just me and my eyesight:huh:. Hope it is the pictures:rofl:.
Beautiful!
Shaz :)
Thanks for asking for honest opinions. It opens the gate to growth and/or a big ole bru ha ha! :rofl::rofl:

Steve, another beauty! I showed my daughter this morning and eve she said "WOW, you make daddy?" Don't worry Steve, I didn't take claim to it.

Well Done!:thumb: