BUFFING QUESTION

Paul Douglass

I would like opinions please. I am thinking I would like a buffer for the pens I make, but I am cheap. Here is my plan. I have an old Kenmore motor out of a sewing machine. It has s foot pedal to vary the speed with. I'm thinking of mounting it on a board that I can clamp to a table, put a 3" or 4" buffing wheel on it to buff pens. Just cost the price of the wheel, I have a 1/2" mandrel for it. Think it would be worth the trouble to set up?

Paul...if it has the RPMs I think it would work fine. If the buffing wheels aren't too expensive, get 3 ...one for the red compound, one for the white compound and one for wax.

I think the RPM's are OK. But it is a small motor. I can slow it up by pushing a piece of 400 sandpaper against the shaft. Trying to get a little rust off. I guess if I don't have to push very hard and use small wheels I might be able to buff a pen...maybe.. Oh, well worth a try.

Thanks, Ken

I do not see why it would not work. I have a 1/2hp motor w/ a 12" disk mounted on a board and clamp to the bench. This way I can move it out of the way when not in use.

Paul...if it has the RPMs I think it would work fine. If the buffing wheels aren't too expensive, get 3 ...one for the red compound, one for the white compound and one for wax.

I have a bunch of polishing compounds here at home, but here is the thing, I do not know what each one is for? At work we use green before white, but that is in polishing stainless steel. I think at home I have white, brown, red, green and black, You are the first one I have heard of that might know when and where to use the various colors. :dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

I have a bunch of polishing compounds here at home, but here is the thing, I do not know what each one is for? At work we use green before white, but that is in polishing stainless steel. I think at home I have white, brown, red, green and black, You are the first one I have heard of that might know when and where to use the various colors. :dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:
As Ken said, the common routine for wood is tripoli, then white diamond, then wax. The tripoli is considered a "cut buffing" stage, where you're removing scratches and imperfections, the white diamond is the "color buffing", which brings things to a mirror shine. The wax stage is intended as a protective layer, and some feel it adds warmth to the piece.

Here's a broad description of the different buffing compounds and stages (at least for metal):

http://www.hobbytool.com/buffing.htm

Thanks Vaughn just what I needed to know. I will have to try the black polish on the stainless and see if that cuts better then the green I now use.

I would use the red rouge on my wedding ring, but I don't wear one. Most machinists don't for obvious reasons, and most woodworkers would be wise to do likewise.