Wedding bands in the Shop

Do you wear wedding bands in the shop

• Yeah I wear one and always will.

Votes: 62 33.0%
  • I wear one, but deep down know I shouldn't because of safety reason

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • No way, no gesture of love is worth me losing a finger

Votes: 55 29.3%
  • I have to, the Mrs wor Mr would kill me if I didn't. Lose a finger or lose my life...

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I take mine off, but only inthe shop.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • I used to take mine off, but I kept forgetting toput it back on. See question 4 of why I wear it now

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I am not married (and pity those of you that are) so I would not wear one even if Iwas

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I am not married (but am jealous of you that are) so I would wear one if I was married

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I have had mishaps with my wedding band

Votes: 14 7.4%

• Total voters
I keep mine on. Can't get it off anyhow, and it is tight enough that I don't think anything could accidentally get under it to grab onto.

I have a bracelit made of fishing swivels that has significant sentimental value to me. I wear it most of the time, but do try to take it off in the shop. It has one swivel that hangs loose and I noted that the loop at the bottom appeared to have been sharpened like a knife. It hit home when I discovered that it was dragging on the belt of my belt sander when I was sanding a small work piece. If it could do that, it could obviously get caught in the table saw blade so . . .

During WWII my father while on watch aboard a US Navy ship in the South Pacific made a wedding band by taking an Australian flourine (correct me if I"m wrong) which at the time was a silver Australian coin. He drilled a hole in it, inserted a marlin spike and using a spoon ....killed time on endless watches by tapping it into a ring. He gave it to his Dad when he returned home. My paternal grandfather wore it until his death. My grandmother removed it from grandpa's finger at the visitation and gave it back to my father. Dad wore it until...one day at the oil rig, he was adjusting the oiler on the rotary table drive chain. .....a small slap by this huge chain...snagged the ring...put a big "ding " in it and almost removed my Dad's finger. He brought it home and it stayed there.

I take my rings off to work in the shop for a couple of reasons. I don't want them getting messed up with glue/lacquer/wax/etc., and I don't want to run the risk of losing a finger because one of my rings got in the way of something spinny. Rings off!!

Nancy

I only wear the wedding ring when I'm not at home. I tell LOML I only wear it to keep away the hordes of gorgeous women who'd be all over me if I was single. At home, I'm often doing things that would mess up the ring or me, so I tend to take it off as soon as I get home.

My dad is missing the ring finger on his right hand as the result of an incident with a truck, a loading dock, and a high school class ring. Because of this, he can only grab M&Ms out of a bowl with his left hand. The right hand leaks.

Married 29 years (to the same pretty girl I met in '75). Only wore the ring for a year or two, kept getting caught on things when I would work on cars and such. The kicker was electronics... once I started working around motors and electronics I had to take it off for safety. Then... got too much of a hassle to put it somewhere safe that I'd remember, so just never put it back on. Wife hasn't minded that at all. She'd rather I be safe. Smart woman.

I only wear the wedding ring when I'm not at home. I tell LOML I only wear it to keep away the hordes of gorgeous women who'd be all over me if I was single. quote]\

Vaughn.....after you tell the LOYL that.....How far away do you have to drive before you can't hear her laughter?:rofl:

I always took my rings and watch of when installing stereos. I've had wires light up in my hand before, and that was bad enough. A red hot ring of metal on my finger would not be my idea of fun! Kept them in my pocket because I was afraid I'd lose them. LOML would probably been quietly ticked if I had left them at home, if you know what I mean. :rolleyes: Bad move. It really tore up the inlay in my Baylor class ring, and totally destroyed the finish on my wedding ring. The class ring can be repaired, though I've never spent the money to do it. The wedding ring is a total loss, but still resembles a band.
But I'm like Rennie, what injuries would a ring pose? I don't wear any chains ever, and I don't wear my watch in the shop. I don't have, or plan to have, a lathe. (Now a lathe might make me change my habits.) And I just don't see what is going to snag the ring. If I get that close to a TS blade or router bit, it's probably going to bite me anyway! Jim.

This April I will have had mine on for 25 yrs It would take me about 5 minutes of grunting ,groaning & copious amounts of lubricant to even think of getting it off.

Chuck

Well I didn't vote because I couldn't find an answer that fit. I have one and haven't wore it since sometime in the 70's. Was always doing some kind of work where it was dangerous and finally just put it up. Wife is ok with it but early on it bothered her some.

When I was a kid and my father worked at a farmers exchange a local farmer tore his finger off jumping off a grain truck while his ring and finger stayed at a higher level on the truck.

I was in the Navy while in "A" school saw or heard about (Memory isn't what it should be) a sailor working on a dipping sonar that got across the high voltage capacitor bank and melted the ring into his finger. Saved the finger the ring was cut off. The scarring was bad, and it hurt to think about it.

Now I still work with electricity as well as play with woodworking and metal working equipment so have no desire to start wearing the ring.

May put it on for a day if it still fits this May for our 40th.

Garry

I only wear the wedding ring when I'm not at home. I tell LOML I only wear it to keep away the hordes of gorgeous women who'd be all over me if I was single.

Vaughn.....after you tell the LOYL that.....How far away do you have to drive before you can't hear her laughter?:rofl:
Actually, it's her line. :p She tells me that every Monday night when I go to the bar for my pool league. (You have to understand that seeing an attractive woman at the bars I play pool in is about as common as finding a biker at a Beverly Hills hair salon.)

When I met LOML, I knew she was the one for me, since she had the two qualities I was looking for most in a woman...desperation and bad eyesight. :rofl:

"When I met LOML, I knew she was the one for me, since she had the two qualities I was looking for most in a woman...desperation and bad eyesight. "

Got the wife to read this thread. She did get a hoot out of Vaughan's quote :rofl::rofl: All she said was ditto:huh: However guys she did agree that the ring was not all that important when safety was concerned. Besides she knows now that if I were to mess up I wouldn't have this comp to write this message not any woodworking tools to work with! :rofl::rofl:

I lost my wedding band about 10 years ago. I found out my hands my hands got smaller as they got cold. I was duck hunting, down in the marsh, my hands were cold and my ring went flying thru the air and disappeared in about 1 foot of water and muck.:(
I got to agree with working on CNC machines and wood working machines, your better off with out it.and It’s better to have all of your fingers.:thumb:

I only wear one ring and a watch. I take the ring off before going to the shop. Depending on what I am doing, will determine if the watch comes off. I have a general fear of loosing a finger because of a ring, so off it comes. We have been married for over 9 years, and my wife has never had a problem with me taking the ring off, especailly if I'm carring something heavy or working on something.

Do you wear a wedding band in the shop, or are you too afraid you could lose your finger ?

Working in machine shop got a drill bit caught up in
my wedding band. Lucky that I didnt lose a finger.

That was 20 years ago........to this day never wear a wedding band working in the shop (Machine, or Wood shop)

A couple of years back I must have gotten bitten by a bug late a night because I woke up with my ring finger all swollen up & went out to the shop & cut the ring off. I had to have it re-sized to be able to wear it. About 3 weeks ago I was working on an exterior door & something popped in or above the knuckle of the same finger & it started to swell again I quickly took the ring off & still can't get it over the knuckle. I almost made it to April 2nd which will be 25 years. Thank goodness she is the LOML & is understanding. The finger doesn't close into a grip all the way without effort & when close all the way takes some effort to start open again. But for most things it isn't much bother.

was watching wood works today and noticed david marks wears his ring while in the shop

me personally ive never thought about it. if i get my finger close enough to catch my ring on a blade i dont think its gonna matter, it would have likely gotten me anyways. i try to keep my hands away from moving tools!

Norm Abrams always did too.

My place is kind of funny,when we purchased wedding bands we decided to get her a good one, and me the cheapest they made, because on the railroad we were not allowed to wear wedding bands. After I moved on from that career, I seldom take mine off, even in the shop which could be at home or in the machine shop. She on the other hand, never wears hers. Maybe she is on the hunt for a new man :dunno:

When I got married back in my brown hair and red beard days...I wore the wedding band for the afternoon and wedding night and haven't since. Because of my job, I couldn't wear any type of jewelry. My wife finally had the wedding band reduced to her size of finger.

Rod

A few hours ago I headed down to the shop to finally finish the setup on my new bandsaw. I wasn't planning on doing any woodworking, just the saw set up and a couple of test cuts. In the process of making adjustments, I decided that I should take my ring off. I set it on top of the head stock on my little Jet lathe. I finished the adjustments and test cuts and left the shop. I figured that I would just check out FWW before heading off to bed.

Thats when I saw the Wedding Band thread again, and I realized the the lathe is still wearing my ring! Doh! :eek:

Back to the shop to get the ring back...... :doh:

Now if I could only find my little 11mm wrench (which was misplaced shortly after assembling the stand for the band saw), I would be all set.