Wedding bands in the Shop

Do you wear wedding bands in the shop

• Yeah I wear one and always will.

Votes: 62 33.0%
  • I wear one, but deep down know I shouldn't because of safety reason

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • No way, no gesture of love is worth me losing a finger

Votes: 55 29.3%
  • I have to, the Mrs wor Mr would kill me if I didn't. Lose a finger or lose my life...

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I take mine off, but only inthe shop.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • I used to take mine off, but I kept forgetting toput it back on. See question 4 of why I wear it now

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I am not married (and pity those of you that are) so I would not wear one even if Iwas

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I am not married (but am jealous of you that are) so I would wear one if I was married

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I have had mishaps with my wedding band

Votes: 14 7.4%

• Total voters
Been married 32 years, quit wearing it 31 years ago. I'm a welder by trade and have seen too many seared to fingers from sparks. I tried a Black Hill's gold ring a while back but apparently am allergic to something in them. The skin under it blistered up and peeled off. I may try to turn one out of antler and see how that works. Haven't strayed yet, so why buy a collar now.

Had to answer #1 cause I weigh more now then when I got married and I can't take it off. Even if I could I would be too lazy to do so.

From my point of view there is an option missing.

I got married 13 years ago I wore mine for about a week, then I just left it in a drawer I cound't stop fiddling all day with it, knocking on the table, or whatever, now my wife is wearing both of them, (which in some countries widows do:()

I take mine off for safety...now... until about 2 1/5 years ago, I couldn't get it off.. had it cut off and resized.
And mine is carved and engraved, so I don't want to take a chance on marring it either.

I cut my right index finger at 12 in a Honda 50 incident. In shop class the next semester the closest I got to tool was sandpaper. I don't where a ring with one down and nine to go. She understands.

From my point of view there is an option missing.

I got married 13 years ago I wore mine for about a week, then I just left it in a drawer I cound't stop fiddling all day with it, knocking on the table, or whatever, now my wife is wearing both of them, (which in some countries widows do:()

Well that makes some sense Toni. . . she has lost you to the shop so she could be considered a woodshop-widow :rofl:.

I had an incident at the paper mill where I work. I slid off a fixed ladder on and grabbed onto a conduit that was fastened to the floor. As my hand slid down the conduit and I fell to the floor, my ring caught something on the condiut and cut my hand. My back was sore for a while, but I was luck I didnt pull my finger off.
Our MI OSHA trainer recommends no jewelry including watches. I have a clock on the wall, so I dont need a watch. My wife gets on me if I forget to take my ring off. She understands, especially when she heard some of my coworkers stories. No one lost their fingers, but most destroyed their wedding rings. Pinching the ring on the finger was by far the most popular issue the people at the mill have had.

I don't know if I could get mine off without injury (to me or the ring, and the ring is part platinum, so to me) and I can't think of anything that I do in the shop now that the ring would be an injury / no injury sort of deal. The ring is tight to my finger, no slop or play - if the ring get snagged somehow causing a serious injury, well, then I figure I had already been doing something horribly wrong and would likely have been seriously injured without the ring too.

Having said this, I am a chemist by profession - at work I am often wearing gloves, so the ring is even less of an issue. I might have a different opinion if I was in a different occupation.

Sigh, lost mine years ago at work. Never did get around to buying a new matched pair. But we talk about it. But if I did have one, I wouldn't wear it in the shop....

I wear my wedding ring in the shop all the time. Seem to take it off when I am finishing, not when cutting.

Yet, I take it off for yard work, the soil scratches the hell out of it. I should start taking it off- I have gotten it hook on some things in my shop like corners and edges of benches. If it was a planer it could have bad results.

I used to take it off. But, after a while, I think I have gained enough weight that I cannot take it off anymore. So, I just have to be very, very, careful when I am around the machinery. Besides, the last time I took off my ring in the shop, I forgot about it and went out for beers with some buddies later that night. When I got home, my wife was waiting for me. I still have shivers when I think about it....:doh:

I don't wear much jewelry or the wedding ring.

Beside if I did have it on I usually don't get my face close enough to any moving parts to rip it out of my nose. :eek::rofl::rofl::rofl::wave::doh:

ring mishap

Been married 42 yrs, wore a ring for 32...till one day I jumped down from the back of a semi trailer and my ring caught on the top rung of the ladder....quick trip to Dr... fought them about cutting my ring off, so they said OK...but I was begging them to cut it off about 10 min. later when it swelled up. Couldn't get one past that knuckle now.

I have worked in industrial maintenance for 30+ years. Havent wore a ring or watch the entire time. They were not allowed and for good reasons.

I quit wearing my wedding band in the shop, but not for safety reasons. I agree with the statement that if I was doing something that my ring would cause injury, I would incur the injury without the ring as well.

My reason for not wearing one is that I got tired of accidentally tapping my workpieces (on the lathe mostly) and then having to repeat sanding to remove the marks left. So it's entirely a pragmatic decision, not safety-related.

One of my first turning projects I'm planning on once I get my lathe out from under the bench is to turn a ring holder for the shop. I figure that's a nice easy little project I can accomplish, and it will let the ring go to the same place when I take it off.

One of my first turning projects I'm planning on once I get my lathe out from under the bench is to turn a ring holder for the shop. I figure that's a nice easy little project I can accomplish, and it will let the ring go to the same place when I take it off.

Brilliant!