Difficult Woodworking Tasks Thoughts

Thought for the day….

• Making hand cut dovetails…more simple then it looks once you realize the tricks
  • Adjusting your jointer or planner knives…with the right knife holder, it goes pretty fast and quick
  • Getting (4) 45º corners to line up….difficult, but doable with the right cutting tools
  • Getting a flat finish with poly without dust nibs or sagging…possible with the right book or instructions
  • Getting to the trunion bolts on a tablesaw…easy once you realize you only need to loosen three to get the trunion adjusted
  • Accessing www.familywoodworking.com at a cheap hotel in Zimbabwe…difficult and slow, but certainly achievable
  • Getting the Mr or Mrs to go along with that expensive woodworking purchase…easy once you present her the idea that you could build her that new project she always wanted
  • Lugging 16 sheets of 3/4inch plywood from the local BORG…easy once you grab the keys to their fork truck and start it up and yell real loud “I don’t work here but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night”, and gun the motor. (help arrives VERY quickly every time I do this.)
  • Cutting down a big Ash in waist deep snow in the middle of January so you can have lumber next year…very exhausting, but satisfying work
  • Potty Training a 19 month old little girl…DOWN RIGHT IMPOSSIBLE! (I just spent 30 minutes in the bathroom with her after she looked up at me and said…Potty. We read books, we made up songs, we played patty-cake…and yet nothing. We finally change her diaper, walk out of the bathroom and into the living room and she stops and says “Uh oh.” Then the unmistakable funk of a soiled diaper begins to swirl around her. How a beautiful 34 inch high, 27 pound girl can smell so bad, so quickly, is a phenomena NASA should investigate. But why, oh why Alyson could you not do such a thing two minutes ago while we were on the potty? :)

Last edited:
No, not really.

Alyson has her own little bitty potty, but insists that we sit down on the big one as we wait for the big event from her.:D

...Cutting down a big Ash in waist deep snow in the middle of January so you can have lumber next year…very exhausting, but satisfying work...

Actually... I do a lot of that, and have to admit I enjoy it almost as much as working the wood in the shop. Every time I open up a log I'm like a kid in a candy store.

ripbig4.jpg

375bdft.jpg

As for potty training kids... been there done that 20+ years ago. As much as I havn't had to deal with that for quite a while, it does bring back memories of when my 3 girls were little, and I was the only man in their lives.

I know there are two places for people on a sawmill and being on the wrong side of the blade becomes apparent pretty quick.:D I hefted way too many boards off our sawmill and piled them up as I grew up.

I do alright for the first 10 logs or so. It is cool to see how many board feet you can get out of a log and to see what kind of wood you are getting, but after that I get kind of bored. I think I have ADHD or something, because after a dozen logs my brain shifts into neutral and I just saw lumber, thinking about other things instead of what I am doing. As you know, that isn't good,either for the bf count or for safety reasons.

Now I either hire a sawyer to come in and saw out a pile of logs, or have my uncle saw the wood into lumber. I do like logging though and always have. Its hard work and very tiring, but its what I have done since I was a very young kid.

There is no greater satisfaction, no matter how deep the snow, how cold the weather, or how big the tree, then making boards from your own woodlot and using them in your woodworking projects. Knowing these trees were the very trees my father and grandfather left behind to grow, makes it all the sweeter. Now that I have Alyson, I can't help but wonder if her husband will cut the little trees I am leaving behind now.:dunno: Its funny how having kids changes your whole perspective on life, even when you lived in the same place for years.