OT- Security Cameras etc

Stuart Ablett

I have some questions about security cameras, I hope someone here can help me out.

We have an older security camera system, 4 cameras, with a controller, and a time lapse recording VCR.

In the last year, the system has just simply died.

The VCR was the first to go, we replaced it once before, and it cost something like $500 :eek: so when it died before, we did not replace it. Next, the color balance in all of the cameras went wonky at the same time. I thought it was the monitors first, but as we have two monitors, how come BOTH of them went wonky at the same time too :huh:

I think the main control unit is bad, I just cannot see all 4 cameras going wonky to the exact same extent at the exact same time, or both monitors going bad at the exact same time :dunno:

Anyway, we found a really good deal on a new, in the box Digital HDD recording system. Retails for about $1200, street price $900, we got it for about $450 :thumb:

Corona HDR-3
It has a 250 GB HDD
hdr-3-1.jpg

Now the real question is, can I use the old cameras on this system?
old_camera_cc-1350.JPG
This is the back of the old camera, the cable goes to the old control unit, and connect to it via a BNC connectors. The New unit has BNC connectors as well.

So, should the old cameras just plug into the new unit?

If you look >> HERE << there is a translated page of info about this unit.

I guess I want to know if the new unit will "power" the old cameras.

If we have to, in the end, we will just buy 4 new cameras, but I'd rather not.

Thanks in advance, if you can offer some insight in this subject.

Cheers!

Sounds like a heck of a deal. Since the cameras and the controller all have the same connectors, I don't see any harm in at least trying them together. It should work, but if not, I seriously doubt it'd harm anything.

The bnc video signal should be no problem.
I take it your old system also had a power supply
to provide the 18volts D.C. to the camera(s)
I didn't see a power out put on the new recorder to
supply voltage to any cameras

If there there is none or if it is the incorrect voltage, you
should be able to use a d.c. transformer to power the old
cameras using the old power wires already in place.

A friend has a business where he installs Live Security via internet and gives encrypted accesss to live feed from any online computer. The images are digital and therefore you can enhance and tell with great detail who, what where & when, etc. Where with video you are lucky to tell it even happened. This won't make you more secure but will help you get your stuff back or catch the critter.

His claim is that it depends on the Camera as to the amount you can see or how much detail. He has mounted in his garage 4 cameras of different qualities ranging from less than $30 to over $300 and each is showing the same image. but there is no comparison between the quality. With one you can see a fellow enters the door, with another you can tell if it male or female and the discri[ption of the clothing. yet another you can get a good discription of the face while with the last one you can get eye colors and facial details. So, it depends on how much you want to spend and how you set up. But the secret is the digital image versus video.

Well, I got it sussed! :thumb:

Hooked the cameras up to the new HDD unit, and ran through the set up procedures, no joy :huh:

One thing I could not figure out was how the cameras were powered, there had to be a power source of some kind. The old unit had a "Video Controller" unit and a "Camera Controller" unit. The cameras were plugged into the camera controller unit, and then there were jumper cables to the video controller unit, from there once cable each to the monitors.

I figured the video controller unit was bad, so I ditched that, and used the camera controller unit in conjunction with the new HDD unit, and I have pictures! :D

Turns out all four cameras work fine (which I figured) and even both monitors work fine (which I also figured) so just replacing the video controler unit, with the new one, did the trick!

Thing is, I now want a larger display, the one we have now is only a 15" old style one, I would like to move to a 17" or even a 19" flatscreen, save some space and get a much clearer view.

Thanks for the help everyone, even the mother in law was impressed, she was figuring on this costing a whole heck of a lot more money than it did. I made sure that I pointed out to her that it only cost $450, because I was involved and found the great deal, and was willing to take the time to figure it all out.

BTW, when this building was rebuilt and the shop was re-established here, the security system was installed by the pros, now this did include running all the wires etc, but the mother-in-law told me it cost $10,000 :eek:

One of the reasons she was reluctant to get a new system, was she thought it would cost that much. I'd not say the old lady was "Happy" but I think she was impressed.

Cheers!