Surprise Wood

Jack Tanner

Its been a few days since I last posted about the new lathe that I had bought, and about the first turnings that it produced, you remember, Thing 1 and Thing 2. I was down to looking for limbs to turn. Well, yesterday my wife went to town shoping, we live 8 miles out. On the way home see saw some men cutting trees in a large yard. She drove past, looked back, backed up and stoped to ask about it. Well here is what she came home with. I think she is trying to get me out of the house. What do you think? Jack

Attachments

• wood.JPG
    wood.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 84
i think you need to buy some sealer and seal the ends...make sure you have a good chain saw and enjoy yourself. by the time you get trough that score you will be an accomplised turner. be safe...

Congrats on the haul, and extra congrats for your wife's bird-doggin' skills. :clap: Like Clark suggested, get the ends sealed as soon as you can to help slow down or prevent cracking. Wax-based sealers like Anchor Seal are what most folks use, but other things can also be used...even old paint helps.

Any idea what kind(s) of wood it is? Other than "freewood", which is automatically one of the best kinds of wood there is. ;)

Suprise wood

Clark thanks for the wood sealer thought. I have already painted it with some old paint that I had here at home. By the way, where can I find the sealer?

Vaughn the wood is elm, Black Gum, Oak, China Berry, a little hackberry, some Hickory, a little Cherry, and one other that excapes my short mine. I can't believe she hit the jackpot that way, you couldn't go out and find that much variety if you tried. Oh yeah, Mulberry that was the other one. Jack

Jack can't think of a finer way for the LOYL to get you out of the house. Mine generally either tells me to go blow the snow or mow the lawn. I guess I will see if I can get her to read this. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Congrats on the haul. When I first started out I used all the old paint I had to seal the ends. Give them 2 coats Jack. CSUSA, Packard Woodworks or any of the others sell wood sealer.