Okay, I have another finishing question...........

Mark Rios

I made myself a torsion box table about a year ago. I followed the instructions form the David Marks (I think it was him) tutorial thingy. You all know what I'm talking about.

Last week I double checked it (all is flat and groovy), sanded it and applied a double coat of Johnson's Paste Wax. In another forum a member posted his tutorial (just a bunch of pics showing his progression really. No teaching.) and he mentioned that he coated with BLO and THEN wax.

Was my wax only not a very good option? After reading his thread I thought that I maybe would like a more durable surface on my table. Can I take the wax off and start again? Or am I now out of luck as far as putting anyting else on.

Oh, what should I do, what should I do?

Thanks very much for your help and ideas.

All the BLO would do is pop the grain and darken it. The wa is for protection. That said, with the wax on your not going to be albe to apply any type of finish unless your name is Miagi then you could "Wax on, Wax off"
Sorry Don, but I disagree with all of your points. ;)

BLO does indeed pop the grain, but it also provides a (thin) film protection, especially when applied in more than one coat. Fully-cured BLO is more durable than wax (as I understand things). I've done pieces with built-up BLO finishes that have proven to be durable for the past 25 years or so.

The wax that's already there should be easily removable with mineral spirits, I believe. If not MS, try lacquer thinner.

for a torsion box used in the shop i`d stick with plain ol` wax just like all my shop fixtures. now if the box was intended to be used in a piece of furniture or in a more formal setting than the shop and was constructed from something besides utility grade sheetgoods then a real finishing routine would be in order.....tod