Grumble, Grumble

Bruce Page

LOML & I went shopping for a new mattress this morning to replace our 12 year old back breaker. We picked a nice king sized Simmons set that they promptly delivered this afternoon. Tonight, I’m making the bed and discover that they no longer put the darned lifting handles on the side of the mattress anymore! What’s up with that? The darned thing was a grunt to pick up to put the sheet on. I have no idea how older people or someone with a bad back could do it. I could have bought another Unisaw for what cost. It just seems like the price goes up and the things we take for granted just go away… :mad:
Sorry, rant off.

I know how you feel, try moving one of those Temperpedic Mattresses. Wow, talk about heavy and unwieldy. Still they are everything they say they are.

My chiropractor insisted I get one for my bad back and I kind of scoffed at her. Then the Mrs got pregnant and had back problems, so as with anything in life, if the with-child-Mrs wants something, you better get it. Best thing we ever got.

The first night I slept from sundown to sun up without waking up. That was a first! Now the only time I wake up is if Alyson's having a bad night. Other then that,solid sleep with no back problems come morning. Hopefully your new mattress will prove to be just as restful.

It's a shame that a manufacturer of a big-buck product shaves a few cents off the production costs by leaving out conveniences like the handles. Are their profit margins that tight?

I've been sleeping on an old style waterbed (no baffles, none of this "waveless" stuff") since the late 70s, so the handles are sort of inapplicable in my case. :p And the last time I bought a mattress (a few months ago...first one in about 10 years) it only cost me about $70 or $80.

Agreed. The guy who decided those weren't necessary should have to move every mattress, anywhere, anytime for the rest of his remaining days.

Agreed. The guy who decided those weren't necessary should have to move every mattress, anywhere, anytime for the rest of his remaining days.

agree also... the wife and I just yesterday bought a fairly expensive mattress from Sleepy's, and had it delivered. Got the firmest one they make. They brought it upstairs and I told them to leave it in the hallway and I would take it the rest of the way. Sheeeesh... signed the paper, went upstairs and searched for the handles to grab the thing and pull it into the bedroom and WHAT??? no handles?

Last edited:
It's a shame that a manufacturer of a big-buck product shaves a few cents off the production costs by leaving out conveniences like the handles. Are their profit margins that tight?

I've been sleeping on an old style waterbed (no baffles, none of this "waveless" stuff") since the late 70s, so the handles are sort of inapplicable in my case. :p And the last time I bought a mattress (a few months ago...first one in about 10 years) it only cost me about $70 or $80.

We gave up our waterbed 12 years ago when LOML’s whining became insufferable. I still sometimes miss the warm mattress on a cold winter’s night.
On the plus side, I woke up without the lower backache this morning which is nice.

We looked at the Temperpedic Mattresses but they were more than I wanted to spend, the Simmons set was $2500 by the time it was all said & done and that was after haggling off $300 and getting free delivery.

I think I’m going to send Simmons a whiney email just for the heck of it.

We have a select comfort. No problems lifting it - air is light.:rofl:
And....it's the best thing since sliced bread, IMHO. Firm when you need it to be, soft when you want it.
end of gloat.:wave::D

Had the same experience! Thought I might get a hernia these things are so thick now! LOML and I figured it has more to do with the engineering a handle that could survive moving these new bigger mattresses than just shaving a few cents off. But then again . . .:rolleyes::D

Oh, and Bruce, if you're looking at having a toasty bed - try a mattress pad warmer. Works like an electric blanket except under the sheets. We turn ours on 10-15 minutes before bed and turn it off when we get in bed. I miss it when I forget!:thumb:

Wes

Had the same experience! Thought I might get a hernia these things are so thick now! LOML and I figured it has more to do with the engineering a handle that could survive moving these new bigger mattresses than just shaving a few cents off. But then again . . .:rolleyes::D

Oh, and Bruce, if you're looking at having a toasty bed - try a mattress pad warmer. Works like an electric blanket except under the sheets. We turn ours on 10-15 minutes before bed and turn it off when we get in bed. I miss it when I forget!:thumb:

Wes
Wes, how durable are the mattress pads? We have been using low voltage electric blankets for years but they all say not to sit or lay on them or you could break/damage the wires. No matter how careful we are with them, the electric blankets seem to only last about 2 or 3 winters before they die.

Well, "it depends".:rolleyes: Our first one was a wedding present and it lasted 10 years. The next one only two years and the current one has been fine so far (third season). I suspect these days they are built similar to the electric blankets you've mentioned - maybe a little more rugged since you lay on top of them. It may help a bit that we put a regular mattress pad over it so "we" don't have the "princess and the pea" syndrome.;):D I never noticed the coils, but LOML did.

Wes

I've come to the conclusion there is no good mattress. Over the many years we have been married, we have tried a lot and I haven't liked any of them. Every night I go to bed my back doesn't hurt. Every night about 3 a.m. I wake up with an aching back. I seem to sleep my best under canvas, on the ground with a hip and shoulder hole dug in the dirt. Go figger.