12'' segmented bowl

Ad de Crom

Former Member (at his request)
Just finished a 12'' segmented bowl made of ''grenen'' (yellow pine)
Sanded and polished with shavings, and finished with as usual blanc transparent stain.
I had a lot of this ''grenen'', now I'm running out of this wood.
Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 100_1545 - 12'' segmented bowl.jpg
    100_1545 - 12'' segmented bowl.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 100_1546 - 12'' segmented bowl.jpg
    100_1546 - 12'' segmented bowl.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 47
Ad,

Very cool. At some point, I'm gonna try one of those. How long did it take? Did you use one of the programs out there for the angles?

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks Bill, this was a two days job, I always use autocad and or inventor for the angles.

Hi,

Very nice shape and design. The only critique might be to make sure that you align the seams very evenly. It really shows with larger segments like you have with your bowl. It might be the photos, but it looks like the 1st and 3rd rows from the top are perfectly aligned and the 2nd row is off a bit. Overall, very nice. It would look great filled with fruit at my house!

Robert

Thanks guys for your nice comments.
Robert, you're right about the second ring, the reason, not perfect half segmented rings on that point !!

Nicely done, Ad.

I have the Woodturner Studio software but never used it. I have always sketched my segmented designs on paper and then got the measurements off of sketch. This is simply beacuse I learnt segmented turning this way. One of the disadvantage is that it is hard to visualize the sketch as a 3D object. One of these days I am going to try using the software though.

Does Autodesk's Inventor come with a steep learning curve??

Nicely done, Ad.

I have the Woodturner Studio software but never used it. I have always sketched my segmented designs on paper and then got the measurements off of sketch. This is simply beacuse I learnt segmented turning this way. One of the disadvantage is that it is hard to visualize the sketch as a 3D object. One of these days I am going to try using the software though.

Does Autodesk's Inventor come with a steep learning curve??

Mohammad, Autodesk Inventor is a great programm for making 3D presentations. Inventor contains help topics as well as tutorials.
It's also possible with autocad, but more complicated, anyway I find.