How is the bandwidth/performance?

Art Mulder

So Admins... This past week we've seen a real spike in membership, after Steve Clardy's shop disaster had the side affect of giving us a blitz of advertising.

This morning, just now in fact, I found the FW response time to be pretty poor. There seemed to be a lot of lag time with downloads. It seems to have cleared up, but it made me wonder how FW is doing with the large leap in membership.

Has our bandwidth traffic spiked? Any spike in our server performance numbers?

Just curious how we're doing.

...art

ps: I take it back. It isn't better. Slow slow slow right now.

Art, I have problems with slow speeds since they created this site on the new host. It is an intermittent problem (for me) but when it's slow it can take minutes to down load anything and often times out. Then just as suddenly it starts to work fine. I am convinced the web host has a problem.

Art, I have problems with slow speeds since they created this site on the new host. It is an intermittent problem (for me) but when it's slow it can take minutes to down load anything and often times out. Then just as suddenly it starts to work fine. I am convinced the web host has a problem.

Well I'm good now, but I'll try to grab some ping times and a traceroute the next time it acts up. Might be something between here and there.

Code:
PING www.familywoodworking.org (82.165.135.122): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 82.165.135.122: icmp_seq=0 ttl=48 time=45.959 ms
64 bytes from 82.165.135.122: icmp_seq=1 ttl=48 time=45.532 ms
64 bytes from 82.165.135.122: icmp_seq=2 ttl=48 time=45.739 ms
64 bytes from 82.165.135.122: icmp_seq=3 ttl=48 time=45.811 ms

Ack, the traceroute isn't telling me anything. Most of the hops are masked, so I can't tell where the packets are going.

...art

what in the world are you talkin` bout?..........give me boards-n-measurements! maybe vaughn or marty will understand:eek:

Art,

We're still doing fine as far as quota goes with 1&1, but I'll admit there have been a few times where response time has been a little less than ideal for me. I've been on the phone with 1&1 a few times, they denied any problems, but right after the calls response time mysteriously improved. I plan to stay on top of this.

BTW, A straight ping and traceroute doesn't usually tell the whole story. You may want to try Ping Plotter that Ken recommended in this thread. It's been pretty relvealing to me, and shows me that the problem I'm personally seeing lies in a few of the hops I take to get to 1&1. May be wirth the free download....

- Marty -

Art, I'm pretty Mac/Linux challenged, but it would really surprise me if there's not something free available for those platforms (especially Linux) that would do the same type of thing.

I have a new 17" Intel core2 duo iMac and run Windows XP on it via a program (VM) called Parallels. I downloaded Ping Plotter and am using the results it gave, right now, to sort out some connection problems with my site.

It's a pretty cool program, and if it helps to sort out my problems...I plan on buying it for future use.

The Mac has a built-in "Trace Route" program...In the network utility. It's more basic than Ping Plotter.

Greg

I have a new 17" Intel core2 duo iMac and run Windows XP on it via a program (VM) called Parallels. I downloaded Ping Plotter and am using the results it gave, right now, to sort out some connection problems with my site.

It's a pretty cool program, and if it helps to sort out my problems...I plan on buying it for future use.

The Mac has a built-in "Trace Route" program...In the network utility. It's more basic than Ping Plotter.

Greg

Hi Greg, I have been using Ping Plotter for several years. It is interesting to see how some of the Internet routes can gum things up response time wise.

I also like the ability to skip the first link which is handy if your machine is attached to a stand-alone firewall.

Neat tool:cool: