First Pen and some questions

I finally got the mandrel and setup to do pens! All excited and everything...I also got the Barracuda2 chuck. More on the chuck later, however.

I made my first pen!!!! Happy dancing may ensue! Ok...well, maybe not. I've attached some pictures (in hopes they're small enough), so I guess I'm ready for the feedback. I'll get the kevlar undies just in case. ;)

My question is, when I try to write with this pen, the ball tip rotates back in! It's annoying to say the least. I'm wondering if I pushed the twist mechanism into the body too far? Not far enough? Or is it just a cheap mechanism?

Thanks for the input. I know I made the mid-joint pieces too thick...it's a look though. Kind of like the waist of girls in the 1800's with the tight bustle...yeah...that's it!!! ;)

Attachments

• Pen1.jpg
    Pen1.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Pen2.jpg
    Pen2.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Pen3.jpg
    Pen3.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 22
  • Pen4.jpg
    Pen4.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 20
Sandy, I can't tell, is that a Slimline? Wish the pictures were better. I do note that you made the typical first pen. Must be a human condition, wasp waist and bumps and curlies. Mine were that way and I see tons on the pen forums very similar with first pens. As to the problem with unwanted self-retraction. Was the transmission kinda sticky and you cleaned it off thinking you were doing a good thing? If so, bad move. Sticky is for a reason, namely to hold things in place. Or, being a slimline, you might just have gotten a bad one. Don't fret, it's a first. You could complain to your supplier, I'm sure they would send you a new transmission. But, considering the price of a slim, almost not worth the bother. Try again. Wish the photos were better so I could comment on how good (bad :rolleyes: ) your turning was. ;)

Congrats on your first pen, Sandy. :thumb: You did a fine job for a first. I'm not familiar enough with the Slimline kits to help diagnose the problem you're seeing with the tip going into hiding, but I'm sure someone else here will be able to shine some light on the subject.

On the pictures, it's pretty hard to see much due to their small size. Your pictures are 200 x 266 pixels, but you can save them at a much bigger size...600 x 800 pixels is good. If you haven't seen it already, I'd suggest checking out the picture resizing and posting tutorial I have on my website here.

Posting Pictures on FW

Again, nice job on your first one. :clap:

Doggone Mac's on update fettish right now, or I'd redo the pics. I'll get to that later. This is the cheapie slimline kit from PSI. It came with the set. I decided to get the mandrel that came with the tools and some kits and blanks. It's a decent kit. The tools are ok, sized well for pens. They definitely need some retouching though.

I got scared around the middle mandrel and didn't want to make it skinny enough there. Next time I'll try and make them more "slim". ;)

Doggone Mac's on update fettish right now, or I'd redo the pics. I'll get to that later. This is the cheapie slimline kit from PSI. It came with the set. I decided to get the mandrel that came with the tools and some kits and blanks. It's a decent kit. The tools are ok, sized well for pens. They definitely need some retouching though.

I got scared around the middle mandrel and didn't want to make it skinny enough there. Next time I'll try and make them more "slim". ;)

I'm not saying to not make your pens with lots of shape. I just mentioned that most first timers pens tend to look a lot like yours. We all want to make something different. Once you get comfortable making slims, do try some better quality kits. The happiness level will go up considerably.

I've noticed if the barrel is just a little too long the tip will not come all the way out. Or it will push up into the pen when you press down. Make sure the barrels are EXACTLY the right size.

Sandy that is a great looking first pen. Measure the ink tip when you turn it and see how far it comes out. It should be at least 1/8" out. If not you may have to push your transmission piece in just a fraction more. I have had this happen. Also if the tip is coming out at least 1/8" then you probably have a bad transmission unit. I have had a couple that did exactly what you are describing. Like Frank said the supplier should get you another one but it isn't hardly worth the effort because then you have to disassemble the bottom piece and they can be a pain. Just a thought. Keep'em coming Sandy. Look forward to more.

Sandy, it looks like you are off to a good start. Concerning your problem, the slimline twist mech is supposed to have a lock dentent that prevents the cartirdge from going back in during use. I've only had one of these fail like you describe, but it does happen. Contact PSI's customer service and they'll get a replacement out to you. They have proven quite good on any problems I've encountered.

Nice job Sandy. I'm a beginner also (only made 2 pens). It's a lot of fun and there is a lot to learn. I hope my family doesn't get sick of pens for presents!

I'm trying to concentrate more on finish right now. I've been just turning small wood and working on getting a good finish and not wasting pen kits. Got to get a buffer put together. Real FUN

Congratulations Sandy. Pens are so cool! People love them and as your skill improves, so does your product! It looks great. Handmade objects need only satisfy the maker and/or owner. Call your supplier, they will send a transmission to you I am sure. If not, let me know, will send you one and try to explain how to disassemble a pen. (Might as well learn this now also!) Great job.