Raindrops are falling on my head

Okay so this thread morphed into a thread about rural life! :)

Actually its funny because I can relate to just about all of it. My Grandparents used to have a pretty big garden, but from February until June,they had a greenhouse where they sold house plants and vegetables that aren't normally started from seed like peppers and stuff that are in those little plastic six packs. They had a thriving business really, so as I say, I grew up around gardens and stuff.

As for beef, even though I have nothing against buying it from the store (except from Walmart where it has a scary amount of red dye added) I think they need to really clean up that industry. Just last year they passed a law forbidding ground up spine to be added to human consumption beef. Now come on, do we really need a law stating that, and a year ago at that no less. No one wants to eat that. Now with all the beef recalls, downed animals being taken, and with England and France refusing to take our beef...I think its time to clean house in that industry and I mean that literally.

Speaking of dogs, my Basset Hound is quite old and has numerous lumps on him, beneign tumors as it is. From what I read, it most likely came from the dog food he has been getting. Dog food comes from "beef renderings" which since its not considered for human consumption, the stuff they put in there is downright gross. I'll save you the disgustedness of saying what is allowed to go in there, but that is why a lot of older dogs get those tumors now. Basically they are getting what they are eating.

As I said, I would like to see the beef industry get cleaned up a bit.

I spent my summers from age 8 on working on my Grandfathers farm. First thing I ever drove other than my bicycle was a 1946 John Deere A pulling an ancient metal wheeled manure spreader. He did instill in me the work ethic that has stayed with me since. He used to tell me that the harder you worked, the better your food would taste at dinner. He was right of course :).

As for growing Alyson up to appreciate and understand that work ethic, having tried and only partially suceeded with my three girls (ages 23, 21 and 16) all I can tell you is, that will be a challenge in todays world. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

Its kind of ironic that Maine's slogan is "The way life should be."

I say that because while we have our troubles, the highest taxes in this country, our three leading industries are logging, farming and fishing. Now all three of those industries are made up of multi-generational families. In other words your father or grandfather teaches you how to log, farm or fish.

I think that is so cool. When I stayed out in MN for all those years, I saw parents who spent all their time working and children who grew up in Daycare Centers, many of which had paved "play area". A lot were in mini-malls. I was blown away when I saw this.

My "baby sitters" were my Grandparents, and now Alyson does likewise. She spends 3 days a week with my mom, one day with me (Friday) and one day at a daycare. The reason we do the latter is just to give my mom a break and to have a place Alyson can go if an emergency comes up with my mother. All in all it works out pretty good, and I think Alyson's behavior reflects that. I can only hope that as she gets older, and goes to school with her mother (a teacher) her behavior will continue to be good.

As for your daughters Dave, I suspect all three are just fine. I think you are the kind of person that just has super high expectations. I am not saying that's bad, but considering their ages, they are just begining to figure out life. If you give them a good upbringing, even if they wonder from it now, at this stage in their life, they will come around at some point. Good upbringing never leaves a child in my opinion.

Red was home for a visit this weekend, I know he doesn't mind sleeping on the couch.

At least the other two get off when you walk in the living room

Looks like Red's got it down pat. ;) Mine only get off the couch, etc. if there's a chance of a) getting food or b) going outside. If I tell them to get down, they will, but not without moaning and groaning, just like on the Snoopy cartoons.

The photo below is pretty much the response I get. Raised doggy-brow, tail wag thump or two, and "huh?" noise. :) Love 'em anyway.

Travis is on-point about the dog food issue. The folks who make their own dog food with entirely natural, people-quality ingredients do so because of this very problem. Wish I had the time -- and money-- so I just try to get them the best food I can.

--MJ

Attachments

• lady002.jpg
    lady002.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 6
As I said, I would like to see the beef industry get cleaned up a bit.

Wouldn't we all? I had a friend over last summer for a cookout. His wife freaked because the hamburger wasn't bright red :rolleyes: I had a hard time convincing her the fresh ground beef was not red. My buddy dug right in, of course he is like me. If it ain't moving it ain't safe, if it is moving stab it and stop it. She finally tried a bite of his.

It was like some one turned on a light bulb, she ate 5. :rofl:
She has been getting some beef from my brothers neighbor now.

Speaking of dogs on couches, reminded me of this

PET RULES

To be posted VERY LOW on the refrigerator door - nose height.

Dear Dogs and Cats,

The dishes with the paw print are yours and contain your food. The other dishes are mine and contain my food. Please note, placing a paw print in the middle of my plate does not stake a claim for it, nor do I find that aesthetically pleasing in the slightest.

The stairway was not designed by NASCAR and is not a racetrack. Beating me to the bottom is not the object. Tripping me doesn't help because I fall faster than you can run.

I cannot buy anything bigger than a king sized bed. I am very sorry about this. Do not think I will continue sleeping on the couch to ensure your comfort. Dogs and cats can actually curl up in a ball when they sleep. It is not necessary to sleep perpendicular to each other stretched out to the fullest extent possible. I also know that sticking tails straight out and having tongues hanging out the other end to maximize space is nothing but sarcasm.

For the last time, there is not a secret exit from the bathroom. If by some miracle I beat you there and manage to get the door shut, it is not necessary to claw, whine, meow, try to turn the knob or get your paw under the edge and try to pull the door open. I must exit through the same door I entered. Also, I have been using the bathroom for years --canine or feline attendance is not required.

The proper order is kiss me, then go smell the other dog or cat's butt. I cannot stress this enough!

To pacify you, my dear pets, I have posted the following message on our front door:

To All Non-Pet Owners Who Visit & Like to Complain About Our Pets:

1. They live here. You don't.
2. If you don't want their hair on your clothes, stay off the furniture. (That's why they call it 'fur'niture.)
3. I like my pets a lot better than I like most people.
4. To you, it's an animal. To me, they are adopted children who are short, hairy, walk on all fours and don't speak clearly.

Remember: Dogs and cats are better than kids because they:

1. Eat less
2. Don't ask for money all the time
3 Are easier to train
4. Normally come when called
5. Never ask to drive the car
6. Don't hang out with drug-using friends
7. Don't smoke or drink
8. Don't have to buy the latest fashions
9. Don't want to wear your clothes
10. Don't need a gazillion dollars for college, and...
11. If they get pregnant, you can sell their children.

That is pretty funny Mickey...

As for the bed thing, our oldest Beagle, Spike, he insisted that he lay between the ex-wife and I. If we were snuggled up together, her would walk around the bed on top of us, huff a few times, before we would finally roll apart, let him get under the blankets and then fall asleep. There was no need to do anything different because he would circle and huff until he got what he wanted. And yes the blankets had to be up to his chin, but not over his head, and any thing that disturbed that resulted in him huffing all night. Crazy beagle...

As for feeding dogs, I am pretty proud of this. We have a black lab, miniature schnauzer and a basset hound...in other words two different height dogs. Well we like to feed the black lab up high so she does not have to stoop over. We also got sick of her banging her empty bowls in the middle of the night telling us her water dish was empty. So I finally built the "Dog Center in our kitchen.

My wife wanted a countertop next to the stove to place dishes. She also wanted to capture the dog bowls to keep them from getting banged in the night, and she wanted a higher bowl for the blacklab. I made this a part of my kitchen and its perfect. It does all that stuff, and stores dog grooming stuff in the back storage areas.

As for feeding them better, but home-made food. I wish I could afford to do that, but I can't, so I buy store bought dog food and hope for the best.

As for the rain drops Vaughn, I wish you were telling the truth, but its still snowing here. Every 2 days it seems we get more snow. I never thought I would say this, but I wish Spring would come.

Kenworth_Eating4.JPG

This thread really got me to thinking. The funny thing is, I forgot all about Steak.

Yeah Steak was my favorite bull. I had him from Spring 1992-1994. What a great cow. He was a Holstein Bull, taken right off our dairy farm. I had him out back of my parents house for quite some time, and as he grew up I played with him like a dog. I would grab his "bunts" or stubby horns, throw him on the ground, wrestle with him and rub his neck...he loved it!

As he got older I kept that playfulness up and he just loved life. I had him tethered to a rope where he could get at our livestock pond in the summer and drink water from that, eat grass and clover, and eat his daily scoop of grain. (Sorry Mickey but he did). He had this love of molasses so he always got calf-grain with 3% molasses content in it. It was expensive, but Steak was a great Bull and he loved it.

Anyway when it was time for Steak to become...well...steak, I called up the local slaughter house and had him picked up. We were all there to say our good byes with Brian, a 5 year old kid being one of us. The Driver kept saying "watch out for that bull, he'll hurt you," but my Mom was like "No this is steak, he loves kids." And he did. Brian walked right up to the bull, fully equipped if you know what I mean, and had big horns then, and that bull would turn his head over so you could rub his neck, scratch him behind the ears and rub his belly. He really thought he was a dog.

The driver then changed his attitude. He kept saying he never saw a bull that was so docile. He was too, and ultimately the driver wanted to keep him as a stud bull. He knew the bull came from my Grandfather's dairy farm and had great bloodlines and being so docile, he would make a good dairy farm bull. But atlas Steak was destined to be...again...steak and that is what he became.

Holsteins make lousy beef cows (bony structure), but he tasted great. 480 pounds of beef in the end with hamburg so lean, it would not fry on the frying pan. And the steaks...well steak lived up to his name!!

Now Travis reminded me of a story about bulls.

When I was about 6 years old, my parents went on a trip and left me and my brothers with relatives. We went wherever the family did, and so one trip we went to a farm. For whatever reason, a young bull was tethered to a stake back behind their house, and while everyone else was occupied, I decided to go outside and pet the bull. :D And that's exactly what I did. He was a little scary at first, big black snorty face coming down to mine, leaning towards me hard on his tether, but I stood my ground and petted his head. His horns fascinated me at six years old, so I had to touch those too. "Hi cow... nice cow..." :)

As I walked around the tie area, he followed me of course, sniffing and snorting, but nothing exciting happened... until someone in the house noticed. Looking back now I know of course they couldn't come running and screaming or I would have frozen or started to run (no doubt the wrong way) and the bull would have done what bulls do. So the woman called my name from the door, not in an alarmed way, and back I came, now out of range of the bull... who promptly lunged on his tether, LOL! Then the screaming and running started.

Pet the bulls. Dance with Beagles. All the same to me. ;)

--MJ Doolittle

...and back I came, now out of range of the bull... who promptly lunged on his tether, LOL! Then the screaming and running started.

Pet the bulls. Dance with Beagles. All the same to me. ;)

--MJ Doolittle
Too bad somebody didn't grab a camera and take a few pics of that scenario. These days seems everybody (myself included) has at least one digital camera (or one on a cell phone) handy enough to grab and take advantage of a situation like that. What's interesting about this story is how (innocently?) fearless you were in going up to that bull.

There was a huge black angus stud bull on my cousins farm named Conrad, that was semi-tame enough that we would get on his bare back and ride him around the barnyard till he got mad enough that we would jump off before he got real serious. Amazing the stuff we did as kids that we would cringe at letting our kids do today. (slip off that huge animal and get stepped on before moving out of the way etc etc). Amazing that we all survived.

When I worked on the railroad, one guy there was an old Rodeo Cowboy kind of guy. I used to bust his chops all the time. I would say...

"What is so hard hard about sitting on a cow for 8 seconds? We used to climb on the cows all the time on the farm and you could sit on them for 8 hours, and worst thing they would do is flick their ears or whip their tales around. What's hard to ride for a whole eight seconds is a bulldozer on frozen and rocky ground."

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

He did not have a sense of humor though :(

Travis, It's all fun and games. Till he spends time with some cows. Then their attitude changes.

We had one here at the cousins place that was just as sweet as could be. Till he became a daddy. Once we had calves around that was it you did NOT walk out in the pasture.

I've had him try to wrestle the tractor while taking out round bales. not some little tractor, 2940 JD with a loader on it.

Funny thing was he took better care of calves than any of the cows did :D

You are probably right, but considering what their new job is, if I was in the same position, I would be rather territorial about my new role as well. If there is such a thing as being reincarnated, being a bull on a dairy farm is where I would like to end up :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Too bad somebody didn't grab a camera and take a few pics of that scenario. These days seems everybody (myself included) has at least one digital camera (or one on a cell phone) handy enough to grab and take advantage of a situation like that. What's interesting about this story is how (innocently?) fearless you were in going up to that bull.

Yeah, back in those days, it would have taken longer to find and load the film than the entire episode lasted! :) Just a few years ago, mm-hmm. ;)

Wasn't afraid at all that I remember until the ruckus started, but then I was a pretty fearless kid with two brothers as role models. I loved horses and probably thought the bull was some kind of big horse, so went right up. What I do remember is a big black nose/face, snorting and it being considerably larger than me.

My mom tells stories about riding cows and actual cow tipping when she was growing up on the farm. People think cow tipping is an urban legend or joke, but my mom doesn't lie and has plenty of country fun stories to tell about that kind of stuff.

--MJ

You would be happy with me Mickey, the wife...a huge Irish Girl...and I, just came back from an Irish Pub where they served grass fed only, free range cows. The meat was good, but it seemed as if the Highland Beef was a bit chewy.

Now I am not saying this was because of this or that, rather I am asking. Was the meat kind of chewy because it was grass fed, free range, or was it was because of the breed itself; the Highland?

I had my hamburg a medium rare, but the Mrs had hers well done. Mine seemed a bit better but only marginally. Maybe it was the way it was cooked?

:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

Because I grew up on a dairy farm, I ate mostly self-raised Holsteins and Jerseys. There was a Black Angus thrown in there too, but I was too young to remember the taste. I am not saying Holstein or Jersey's are better...they aren't from what I gather, but its what we raised for milk purposes, so its not surprising its what we ate for beef too.

Just curious about the Highland Beef flavor/chewiness thing?

Don't know Trav. never had highland beef.
:dunno: :dunno:

I think some breeds make better meat than others, but i think flavor comes more from what they are fed and and activity or lack of it.

I'm like you I ate a lot of Holstein growing up. The beef I get now is angus. Every once in a while you get on thats tougher than the last. Any more it really doesn't matter since the wife uses her pressure cooker for almost every meal. It can make the worst cut of beef tender.

Maybe its the way it is processed too?:dunno::dunno::dunno:

I guess its like asking "why does one pine board have more knots then another." Way to many possibilities to compare.

Still for my homesteading know it all co-worker, I just had to ask. Man did he get all mad when I told him the Highland meat was chewy. He's one of those guys that just have to be better in every way then everyone else. Myself, I think that is a tough way to go through life, but just can't help but cranking him up every chance I get. :)

As for the Highland, the Highland breed has been around a long time because they are a hearty breed, but also a dual-breed. Since they are beef and milkers, you are going to have to make a trade off somewhere I think. In my case, I would love to have either a Hereford of Black Angus, but I know if I do raise beef cows this year (and I am REALLY considering it), it will be Holstein. They make lousy beef cows I know, but they are so easy to get since I can just go over and pick up the bull calfs at the barn. That beats going out and trying to find a calf of another breed and paying money for it. I will also know the bloodline of the Holstein cow too,for whatever that is worth.

Of course you know I will have to hear this for the next two years from my co-worker...."You should have got a Highland because they are so much better then a Holstein because..." :(:doh: