Lacewood & Wenge Tray - a la Mark Singer

With apologies and thanks to Mark Singer, I tried to copy his design to create my own tray. I scaled this first piece back from those that Mark and others have done, just to make sure that I knew what I was doing. This example is 24" x 5.5", with the feet 6" wide.

2312570788_d733fcf4af.jpg

I am realizing that my photography skills are not good, so these shots make the lacewood look much wavier than it actually is. That being said, I had a lot of fun making this piece. The tenon is also made from wenge...

2312570874_859716f466.jpg

I tried, but failed :eek:, to inlay a slice of maple into the tenon, but it didn't turn out very well.

I hand-traced the shape for the bracket feet on the pieces of wenge, cut them on the scroll saw, and finish-sanded them on the spindle sander.

2311760445_f40715f65b.jpg

I have plans to make a few more of these, larger in scale, in the very near future. Thanks to Mark, and thanks for looking!!

- Keith

Hi Keith, I moved your thread (this one) into this forum.

Boy that is one nice looking tray, I've not seen Mark's tray, so I have nothing to compare it to, but this one sure is a beauty! :clap:

Cheers!

Lookin' good Keith. Not all of us build on Mark's scale. Nice to see a smaller rendition. The lacewood is great to look at.