Clean Air... ***Up and cleaning***

Greg Cook

A year or so ago I got a Delta DC at Lowes for 1/2 Off, as it was too big to keep in their tool department. I was basically brand new. I have been wanting an air filtration system to supplement the DC in keeping my shop as clean as is possible, considering I am making sawdust... My chance came up with a sale at Rockler, so I picked up the JET AFS1000B. I think it will work well in my small shop.

(Amazon pics til I get some taken of mine)

View attachment 18344

View attachment 18347

The Jet gets good reviews, and I got the updated unit...more air and still quiet.

Last edited:
Nice addition. I've been eyeing similar units. Was it a sale at your local store? The website seems to have them at what I assume is the regular price of $229.99.

[Edited to add...]

Just looked at Amazon, and they have it at Rockler's price, but with free shipping. There's also a $25.00 rebate shown. Hmm...I've got a $25 Amazon gift certificate, and with the money I'm getting next weekend for selling my two benchtop drill presses (which I consider "found" money), my net cost would be about $40. I may have to ponder this...;)

Nice addition. I've been eyeing similar units. Was it a sale at your local store? The website seems to have them at what I assume is the regular price of $229.99.

Good score Greg. I just changed the filters on my shop made unit (whew). Those little ambient cleaners really do pick stuff up.

Vaughn, if you don't get emails from your local store, get signed up. Corporate also has "sign up" email offers that they send out that are not part of the regular mailers.

The Ontario store near me seems to have something going on every week plus I get "Ontario" store specials that Corporate sponsors as well. This confuses me somewhat because I always here all Rockler's are family owned. :huh: There is definitely some autonomy (or rebellion) at work. San Diego sends me store mailers that are different from the Ontario store :dunno:.

Last edited:
Glenn, I'm on the Rockler mailing lists already, both the local and the corporate. My biggest frustration has been getting a flyer in the mail on Thursday, going to the store on Saturday or Sunday to pick up a sale item, only to find out the sale doesn't start until Monday. I know it's my own fault for not paying attention to the dates on the flyer, but it's frustrating nonetheless. Since the sales often start on Monday, the store is usually out of the sale items by the time I can get there on the weekends. :doh:

Vaughn,

You might try ordering the sale item during the sale, give the manager your card number to pay for it then, and have them hold it for a few days until you can pick it up. :dunno:The people at my local store are very much customer oriented, and will help as much as they can. :thumb:

I get emails from both local and corp HQ too....:rolleyes:...and from most all other woodworking stores...:doh:

:rofl:

I was somewhat surprised at the size of the unit. I think I'll screw it into the ceiling joists using the supplied hardware, rather using small chains. Anyone mount one this way?

Greg, I've done what you suggested for things that were really good prices (or driven to Pasadena after work on a weekday), but often I can get equal or better prices for the same things from other sellers on the web.

In the case of the Jet air filter, my pondering is over...Amazon won. ;) If I hate it I can always blame Greg. :rofl:

Greg, I've done what you suggested for things that were really good prices (or driven to Pasadena after work on a weekday), but often I can get equal or better prices for the same things from other sellers on the web.

Yeah, I've actually gotten a few better deals at Western Tool Supply than anywhere else...rare, but sometimes... :dunno:

Amazon is still my supplier of choice, though...:rofl: Remember the Bessey clamp blow-out a couple years ago....sale, plus mfg instant rebate, plus free shipping..? :thumb:

In the case of the Jet air filter, my pondering is over...Amazon won. ;)
I checked out a lot of reviews, so I think I'm safe.. That is unless you just want to be a jerk and give me grief for the heck of it...:eek: :rofl:

I did read some more on them and I think I will go with the chain or most probably solid bungie cord mount. Seems it's easier to do alone and helps dampen the vibration.

I think I will go with the chain or most probably solid bungie cord mount.

Sounds like you've got it handled Greg. Just in case it helps, I hung mine from rope to dampen vibration with short, loose "just in case" chains that kick in after and inch or so in case of rope failure. Been over a year and no sign of wear on the rope. Another case of Glenn's paranoia. :doh:

Greg,

I used some of those large rubberized hooks you can get at the borg, on the shelf right next to the bicycle storage hooks. Screwed two into the joists, and two into the unit itself, so it "swings" from them. Works pretty well, no vibration to speak of, and it's stayed up there. So far... ;)

I also wired mine directly into a wall switch. Don't wire directly into a wall switch! ;) There have been times when I wanted to take it down to modify it, but it would be a bit of a hassle. Course, mine's made out of MDF, so it's durned heavy! :)

Thanks,

Bill

I built one of these. Here are my pictures.
I used the Penn State filters so I should be good down to 1 micron.

I do not have a DC yet. I have the cyclone installed and waiting for budget to allow all of the piping.

I hung my on chains. I used long chains so I could "walk" it up the chains. This way I could install it by myself.

Based on how often I change the 1st filter it works and takes the fine dust out of the air. I KNOW it is not purfect, but I am sure it is helping.

Well, I got it mounted... I ended up cleaning out my scrap cedar loft and putting the Jet there. It faces my table saw, lathe and drill press, and is just above my router table. About the best spot I could find. I also cut trim on my miter saw in front of the router table, so it will be good for picking up the flying dust there too.

What is amazing is, you can see the fine sawdust already on the blue filter paper....after only a few hours of operation!:eek:

I didn't even do any sawing/routing/sanding today either! :huh: Makes me feel even better for getting the unit, but I wish now I had done it sooner...:doh:

Looks good, Greg. :thumb: I got my Jet filter today, and after taking it completely apart to fix a bent part, I got it hung tonight. I'll start another thread to tell the whole sordid story.