• Pella

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Anderson

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • Other

Votes: 8 23.5%

• Total voters

Nick Clayton

Finally going to replace the old double-hung windows in our house. I would like a clad exterior and wood interior. Let me know what manufacturers you have had good luck with and any opinions or experiences you have to share?

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
Your poll didn't allow multiple choices. I've used Anderson, Marvin, and Pella - all with good results.

I do have one Pella pane in my house that has lost its vacuum/gas between the glasses. It fogs up a bit when it's really cold out. I haven't looked into replacement of it yet, though.

Nick, whatever you decide to do about your windows, make sure you shop around!! All of the window salespeople from these big companies make their money on how much they can mark up the price of the windows and installation.

We had nine windows in our house in Virginia that needed replacing. We got quotes from Pella, Anderson, and a couple of others, ranging from $7K to $13K:eek:. Out of frustration, we went to a home show where we found a local fellow who represented Pozzi. He was willing to measure all of the windows and keep the measurements in his files, and let us buy one or two at a time, installed each one for $100.00 each. Our 9 windows ended up costing about $2800! The salespeople will quote what they think they can get and if that's too high, they'll reduce the price until you bite.

Another thing: in Mass, you might think about doing extruded vinyl windows rather than clad and wood. They come in a range of colors and NEVER NEED PAINTING. They won't warp, they won't stick, and I know that the windows we put in the Virginia house are still new-looking after about 20 years. If you have a 2-story house, make sure you get the ones that will tip in for cleaning the exterior.

Nancy

He was willing to measure all of the windows and keep the measurements in his files, and let us buy one or two at a time, installed each one for $100.00 each. Our 9 windows ended up costing about $2800! The salespeople will quote what they think they can get and if that's too high, they'll reduce the price until you bite.
Nancy

Nick this is what my parents did too. My dad installed them all himself to save evan more. If your replacing some in an attic or basement, seconds and blems might be an option as well. As to which brand....pella and anderson are both made in Iowa so I have a bias for them, but they are also the two most used by builders/remolders here in the area.

Pella and Anderson make top notch windows. The best in my book. I have had Anderson and loved then. Never had Pella but mainly because of price. Not that Anderson is cheap either!

I would use which ever was cheaper and had the style/size I want. You wouldn't be disappointed.

No experience with Marvin. Never even seen any I don't think. So I can't say anything about them.

The bulk of my experience with windows is at Pellow's Camp where I have built 3 buildings over the span of 33 years. I buy my windows from a local small business in Hearst Ontario named 'Vitrerie de Hearst Glass'. The windows are great, but I don't expect anyone to make the treck to get them.

But, you should check out any local firms in your area.

If you're in or near a decent sized city, there are multiple options - windows are nearly a cottage industry in many regions. There are a lot more choices out there than the ones you've listed. For what it's worth, my opinions (and i'm sure others differ) on them are as such:

Marvin - A high quality product, a clear step above the others on your list in terms of quality control, hardware, materials, and how the window units are detailed to deal with water infiltration, ease of maintenance, and general longevity. Their turn-around times tend to be quite short. All that said, you pay for it. I've had several projects with Marvin windows installed - no problems to date.

Pella and Anderson i'll put in a similar cagegory. They're both a good improvement over what most spec. hombuilders install. They should hold up pretty well. Hardware, weatherstripping, etc. is, for the most part, middle of the road.

Other - the options run the gammut - total junk to mahogony sashes clad with soldered zinc or copper sheathing.

I'm an architect and have done numerous renovations over the years, and different products answer better to different applications. My first rules of thumb are to stick to your budget and get what you need. Windows that will see a lot of use or are exposed to harsh conditions (south and west facing, high winds, wind driven rain or sea water, etc.) should be budgeted with a practical level of quality in mind. If you can't afford to do it right the first time, you probably can't afford to do it twice.

Sometimes it's not possible to afford a decent level of quality all at once. In that case, you might consider replacing them incrementally over time. The Marvin truck shows up at my next door neighbor's house every June - they do one or two rooms per year. They started with the worst ones and should have them all done soon. If you do this, go with a company that's been around a long time and has some consistancy with their product.

I've seen too many problems with vinyl window over the years to ever recommend them. Over time, especially with a lot of sun exposure and temperature changes, i've seen them warp to where they don't seal well or simply don't open or close easily or at all. If budget dictates vinyl windows, make sure you go with a company that you think may be around (such as Anderson or Pella). Anderson makes a fiberglass window (Renewal), which we've had good luck with - very stable and strong.

Also, be sure to look into the glazing. Most manufacturers are using double pane insulated panes - gasgets do go bad - find out who manufactures their glass and what the warranty is for the glazing and its seals.

One more note, will you be installing new windows, or simply new sash kits? For the older double hungs, the sash kits are often a practical option. They will alter the appearance of the window to some degree - if you're in a historic district you may be limited on this.

My general soap box is this - these are holes in the walls of your home - don't buy junk or you'll wind up paying in ways far beyond the cost of new windows, and make sure they're installed correctly with proper flashing, drainage, and sealant.

Paul Hubbman

Are you putting in replacement windows or new windows in the old rough openings? We put new Anderson 400-series windows in the old openings in our house. The old windows were Peachtree and over 1/2 of them rotted out in the lower corners of the window frame where the sill met the side jamb in 12 years. One bad enough that we had to replace sheeting below it. The sash cladding also failed on one window and allowed water in to rot out the wood frame of the sash. The Andersons are much sealing and operating than the Peachtree.

Our old house had Marvin replacement windows--basically a set of jambs that fit into the old window frame and new sashes. They were OK, but nothing to write home about. Some had trouble staying up and they weren't the tightest windows in the world.

I don't even know what brand my windows are. But, I would suggest that whatever you get, make sure they are guaranteed. One of our big picture windows began fogging. This meant the seal had failed. Insurance replaced. But a year later new one failed also. Called the company I got it from, no argument, a week later they replaced it also. Company reputation very important.

We replaced all our windows & the slider patio door with Pella’s several years ago. We went with the Designer Series that had the mini-blinds between the glass panes and chucked every curtin in the house. We love them for their energy efficiency, noise reduction and looks.

Andersen Windows. Pella is more expensive and overall a lesser quality window. If you're looking for windows that will last, go with Andersen. My ex-husband has been in the construction business for about 30 years now, and he taught me well!

--MJ

PS: Bill was right... :)

:huh:

Are there really only THREE decent window manufacturers in the ENTIRE United States?

I replaced about 3/4 of the windows in my house, and I've gone with extruded vinyl. Made right here in Southern Ontario by North Star, and installed by a local company who did a great job. Low-E, argon filled, maintenance free.

No painting windows if I can help it.

...art
(who thinks life is too short to waste it ironing shirts as well...:rolleyes: )

ps: I checked, and they do have dealers in Michigan, but I tried some MA zip codes and couldn't find any.

Last edited: