Freud Box Joint jig

Got my Freud box joint jig today and built the jig according to their instructions. Then made a trial joint out of pine and was disappointed. The joint was too lose for comfort. Anybody who has this jig can you suggest some troubleshooting hints.

Thanks, DKT

The pin size/spacing on your jig is off. Contrary to the ease with which Norm and others seem to make their jigs, it's actually a pretty precise piece of equipment. If the pin on your jig - and the spacing away from the blade - is too small, just by a few thousandths of an inch, you'll get joints that are too loose.

Make another jig and try again.

Glad to see you got it dialed in. :thumb: Once the jig is set right, I think you'll find the Freud blade set is very sweet.

Sorry to jump in with this question guys, but my english woodworking vocabulary is not as good as it should be.

What on earth is a Freud Box Joint? Most problably I know what it is but not under that name or I may not know what is it at all.

So please indulge and enlighten me:eek:

Last edited:
Toni, it is a set of blades that are designed to make cutting the box, or finger joints easier..........

XBO8_Set_2.jpg

Cheers!

Hi Stu.

Thanks man! you have an image always available!

When I read a Freud Box joint jig I understood it was jig for making Freud joints! hence my question. Dumb of me! I laugh at myself:rofl::rofl:

Don't feel bad, Toni. My blunder was worse. I wasn't even thinking about Freud's new blade set. I simply took it for granted that they had a commercially produced jig available. They don't.:eek:

Got my Freud box joint jig today and built the jig according to their instructions. Then made a trial joint out of pine and was disappointed. The joint was too lose for comfort. Anybody who has this jig can you suggest some troubleshooting hints.

Thanks, DKT

Hi Dietrich,

I actually wrote those jig instructions and so would be interested in your feedback. Were you able to make the key stock to exactly fit the groove?