Metal Cutting Blade

In the the "Beer Shelves" episode of Stu's Dungeon there's a clear shot of the drop saw ready to cut a piece of steel.

What on earth is that blade?

I've seen that style of diamond blade for ceramic cutting but all the steel cutting blades around here (Oz) are 90T conventional style etc.

Just curious!

Cheers, Antony.

Last edited:
That looks like a carbide tipped metal cut off blade to me. Hard to tell in the pic but it looks like it has teeth. Those things cut supper but they don't last long for the money. The diamond ones cut almost as good and seem to last forever.

Last edited:
It is a kind of carbide, actually, I think it is called C-6 or something, but this stuff is designed for cutting steel as well as the tooth design being for steel.

They do seem to last and last, on cutting pipe etc, and for about $15 I can get it sharpened. It was a fair bit expensive to buy, I think is was around $300... :huh: I could be wrong about that, but for cutting up a bunch of stuff, man is it slick. The steel is NOT hot when you are done, there is no vast clouds of billowing smoke, almost no sparks, much nicer to work with. Yes it is loud, but I would be wearing hearing protection with the abrasive blade too.

Cheers!

Of course being a machine shop, we have plenty of metal cutting tools, but our Scotchman Cold Cut Saw has about the same saw configuration as Stu's saw. I was just telling a co-worker that if I could have just one or two machines in that shop at home, the metal cutting Scotchman would be one of them (The Bridgeport and Lathe would be the others...well maybe the ironworker too...and the shear....and brake...but I digress... :) )

The blades will break and its a costly break at 300 bucks a blade, but the thing saws through stainless steel everyday, and its used hard. I once did some cutting on it and checked how far out the saw cut was. Out of 20 pieces, the most varied piece I had was .015 too long. Most were within .010. A quick facing on the lathe and I was good to go.

730.jpg

It is a kind of carbide, actually, I think it is called C-6 or something, but this stuff is designed for cutting steel as well as the tooth design being for steel.

They do seem to last and last, on cutting pipe etc, and for about $15 I can get it sharpened. It was a fair bit expensive to buy, I think is was around $300... :huh: I could be wrong about that, but for cutting up a bunch of stuff, man is it slick. The steel is NOT hot when you are done, there is no vast clouds of billowing smoke, almost no sparks, much nicer to work with. Yes it is loud, but I would be wearing hearing protection with the abrasive blade too.

Cheers!

Stu, what RPM can you run that blade at? The only ones I've seen like that have to be run at a much slower RPM than our regular cut off saws and have to be run on special slow turning cutoff saws.

They sell two types here, a high speed one and a slow speed one. The cut off saw I have is a normal high speed one, so I bought the high speed blade, I think it was about $20 more than the low speed blade :dunno:

They sell two types here, a high speed one and a slow speed one. The cut off saw I have is a normal high speed one, so I bought the high speed blade, I think it was about $20 more than the low speed blade :dunno:

Thanks for the info. It's been a while since I looked at them here, so maybe we can get the high speed blades here too now. Guess I'll have to check around before my next metal project. When I first saw one here, IIRC, it was a 14" Hitachi Saw and blade, and I think it's RPM was around 1200, and price was about $700.:eek:

Try the manufacturers site
http://www.metaldevil.com/

I couldn't find anything on RPMS, but I did find this

While best performance is achieved using a special metal-cutting saw, the Metal Devil™ improves the performance of standard power saws as well.

I would ask first but it leads me to believe you can use it in a standard saw. I mean to find out for the upcoming out door boiler project II. I've got 2 to build possibly 4

Yet another iron in the fire :D

Try the manufacturers site
http://www.metaldevil.com/

I couldn't find anything on RPMS, but I did find this

I would ask first but it leads me to believe you can use it in a standard saw. I mean to find out for the upcoming out door boiler project II. I've got 2 to build possibly 4

Yet another iron in the fire :D

I have several other things to get done before my next "Metal" project, so if you get any more info, let us know what you find out and how they work.

My metal cutting bandsaw has FINALLY seen its better days I think, and I have NOT had good results cutting ANYTHING even close to square in either the vertical OR horizontal direction using my buddy's abrasive bladed metal cutting chopsaw.:(