And the money flows like a gushing artery wound

Got me a Freud set of tools on ebay last night we will see how they take. If they are as good as my chisels they may be all right. I'll let you know when they get here and I get a chance to use them.

I think I must have fallen and bumped my head. I paid off the Powermatic last night and for some reason I put a deposit on its twin ( the one with the belt speed control) I did this for the tools that used to go with it. Does any one want a Powermatic 45 I have one for sale.:wave:

I think I must have fallen and bumped my head. I paid off the Powermatic last night and for some reason I put a deposit on its twin ( the one with the belt speed control) I did this for the tools that used to go with it. Does any one want a Powermatic 45 I have one for sale.:wave:
OK Mister, we want details, and we want them now. :D

This is all the dirt it is from another thread I started. But it gives you the back ground. I paid for the speed controller one and now have the one with all the goodies on layaway. I will probably go get the one that is paid for this week end.
I am looking for input on a lathe perches.
I found a pair of powermatics both are $850.00 one has speed control, the other one you have to change the belts. Other than that the machines are the same.
Now the one that you have to change the belts to change speed, comes with a 12" tool rest, a 24" tool rest , a 6" face plate, and both centers.
The other one comes with a 12" tool rest, a 6" face plate, and both centers.
You can't buy the 24" tool rest new for this age machine but you might get lucky on ebay or you could have a machine shop rework a new one to fit.
The lathe I am using now has the speed controller and it is nice to be able to just reach over and speed it up when you need to. But the tool rest is a 12" and it's a pain in the but to have to move it when you are trying to do a longer piece.
I put a deposit on the one with the belt speed change . The sale person has called to find out if I would swap to the other one because they had another guy come after me and he also wants that machine.
Thanks Chuck

If I'm reading you right, it looks like you're willing to do without the speed control in favor of having a longer tool rest. Personally, I think I'd keep the speed controlled lathe, and find a local welding shop to make a longer tool rest. (They're pretty simple to make if someone has the metal and a welder available.) You'll use the speed control on pretty much everything you turn, but the long tool rest will only be useful on some of your projects.

Just my 2 cents worth. ;)

If I'm reading you right, it looks like you're willing to do without the speed control in favor of having a longer tool rest. Personally, I think I'd keep the speed controlled lathe, and find a local welding shop to make a longer tool rest. (They're pretty simple to make if someone has the metal and a welder available.) You'll use the speed control on pretty much everything you turn, but the long tool rest will only be useful on some of your projects.

Just my 2 cents worth. ;)
No you miss read that Vaughn. I have bought both machines. The tools will be removed from the belt speed controlled one and it will be sold. Sort of having your cake and eating it to.:thumb::thumb: