Aquarium Stand

Mike Forsman

Here is a project that I finished up in mid December. It is made out of quited maple veneer over plywood. This was my first veneer project. I cut the veneer on the MM16. I built the vacuum press and bag based on the plans and parts from Joe Woodworker. Thanks for looking.

IMG_1005_resize_mlf_Aquarium_stand.jpg

IMG_1006_resize_mlf_Aquarium_stand.jpg

IMG_1008_resize_mlf_Aquarium_stand.jpg

IMG_1009_resize_mlf_Aquarium_stand.jpg

Very Nice Mike. Look forward to seeing it full of fish soon. How big a tank is it? Looks like a 90 gallon? How did you finish the inside of the stand? What type of finish did you use on the maple? Have any pics of the vacum press and bag that you used?

Well Mike, the first word out of my mouth was "wow". The next few words can't be repeated here due to the CoC, but rest assured they were meant in a complimentary way. That's a beautiful piece of work. A number of firsts for you, but it looks like you got it right the first time. :thumb:

Did you build the regulated vacuum pump and tank setup, or did you use a constant-run approach?

Drew, the tank is 60 gallons. I almost always finish both sides and the bottom of any project. I used a wipe-on finish for this one. I don't currently have a picture of the vacuum press and/or bag that I used? I will try to take some pictures sometime soon and post them here. Don't know if I will drag out the bag, platen, and and closure. They are all stored away right not and the shop is a huge mess with another project going on. I will try to take pictures next time.

Vaughn, I built the regulated pump (from Surplus Center), and tank approach. Most of the items except for the pump came from Joe Woodworker.

Dave and Drew, I will take some detailed pictures tomorrow when the light is better.

Mike

Drew, the tank is 60 gallons. I almost always finish both sides and the bottom of any project. I used a wipe-on finish for this one. I don't currently have a picture of the vacuum press and/or bag that I used? I will try to take some pictures sometime soon and post them here. Don't know if I will drag out the bag, platen, and and closure. They are all stored away right not and the shop is a huge mess with another project going on. I will try to take pictures next time.

Vaughn, I built the regulated pump (from Surplus Center), and tank approach. Most of the items except for the pump came from Joe Woodworker.

Dave and Drew, I will take some detailed pictures tomorrow when the light is better.

Mike

Thanks Mike Look forward to seeing the detailed pics. No worries about the rest I am sure that you will be using the bag and vac system again and I am sure we will see some pics in the future.

Here are a couple of more detailed pictures. In the original post I should have also indicated that the trim is mahogany. I purchased the inlay part with the shell. I'm not quite ready for that yet.

IMG_1315_mlf (675 x 506).jpg

IMG_1316_mlf (506 x 675).jpg

Here are a couple of more detailed pictures. In the original post I should have also indicated that the trim is mahogany. I purchased the inlay part with the shell. I'm not quite ready for that yet.

View attachment 18481

View attachment 18482

Shhh Mike never admit those things it takes away from the illusion. Kind of like the magician telling the secrets of how he does things. :eek::eek: It looks beautiful all the same and you did a fantastic job. I have to build one for myself this year as soon as we upgrade from our 30 gallon tank.