Tandem drawer glides

Jesse, they are the latest and greatest drawer glides for high end kitchens....I have been wanting to try them out. Chris, I bought the template to install - It was very useful - but also very expensive. And, it was very easy to install them. There are a few drawer construction details that must be followed when making the drawer, so check that info first. I also cringed at having to cut away the back bottom of the dovetail drawer that I just made to received the glide. But thank goodness it worked out. I still have some tweaking to do with it tomorrow.

Don't worry, there will be pics of this project in the next few days.

Gail - once you get the hang of the Blum measurements and mounting you'll come to realize that they are very easy to mount. A little trick on placing the rear hole and cut away is to mount the front plate on the drawer and then with the drawer upside down try to mount the slide. The little point at the end of the slide will mark the drawer back.

I've been meaning to write Blum and suggest that they add elongated holes (horizontal) for the front set of holes. That way doing inset drawers are really easy to adjust for the inset.

Mike

Mike, the template that I bought, marks the spot for the the hole in the back of the drawer. So that is good. You are right on the money, I am putting these in for an inset drawer and need to make a small adjustment and there is no elongated hole like on the accuride. So, yes, it would be great to have that. That's exactly what I was talking about. Bummer that there isn't a way to micro adjust. I will just fiddle with it.

Thanks for the help.

I just talked to my rep - there is a micro adjust on the locking clip as well as a small adjust at the back of the glide. For inset drawers, there is a different kind of locking clip to order - and that micro adjusts also..

mystery solved.

Tod, you are full of good ideas...die grinder, I will put it on my christmas list.

Gail - here's what I did....

I had a vanity that I installed with top so access was a challenge. I made a jig that would support the slider in place. Then calculated the setback of the slider based on the drawer and drawer front. I then placed one screw in the front and one on the back L bracket. Installed the drawer and checked for final inset (flush) of the drawer to the frame. It took a few tries and each time I used a different hole in the slider. Once I got one set it was much easier to set the other 5.

The jig is just a piece of 3/4 ply with a 3/4"x2" piece that will support the slider for that given drawer height. To tweek the height I used paper card stock as shims.

I think you can also get an installation tool for the Tandem sliders that do essentially the same thing. I think Kreg makes it.

Mike

gail, keep us posted. i will also need those special locking clips as i am doing inset as well. i will ask my supplier when i order them. are you using the ones with blumotion or just the standard tandems? my client specifically wanted the motion. main reason they wanted the tandems.

looking forward to seeing this finished product.

thanks for sharing

chris