ROS dead or alive??

larry merlau

i have an old pc333 that has been very faithful, but recently has decided to give me some grief.. it spins up to fast then when you start to touch the wood with it, it digs right in then settle back down to normal.. is it fixable or is it time to look for a replacement? looking at the bosch 1295 and the bosch 1250 any input would be appreciated.

I was too lazy to look for a parts breakdown for your sander Larry, but some of these units use a sealed ball bearing on an eccentric shaft to provide the "random orbital" action. We used to see a lot of these bearings seized up from sawdust (the seals are only "so" good). We would replace them, but maybe a good clean and lube would fix yours. Quite often you can pop off the seals without damaging them and then pop them back on. If you do grease it, only fill it about 1/3 full - too much grease is as bad as not enough.

cheers eh?

John

The brake is broke! ;)

On the 333, it's an O-ring that's just under the pad. It'll cost about a dollar, but the S/H will be at least $3.00... DAMHIKT

I went through several of them on my 333, before I ended up with my Festool 12 Rotax.

Had the same problem on one of my Makita ROS - about the same time the other Makita died also. I bought the Festool sander, figuring there was less chance I would wear it out. After I had the Festool for a while, I had both of the Makita's rebuilt by the local Makita repair station - not very expensive.

For the painfully long version of my sander story, see www.plesums.com/wood/tips/festool.html

The brake is broke! ;)

On the 333, it's an O-ring that's just under the pad. It'll cost about a dollar, but the S/H will be at least $3.00... DAMHIKT

I went through several of them on my 333, before I ended up with my Festool 12 Rotax.

thanks jim, i can get one of them close by hadnt took it apart again to see what happened lazy i quess figured it was deeper... thanks again.

gota chance to look

and sure enough its gone, looked further and found it sucked in the dust chute,,wore in two only half of it there:eek: so now the hunt for another belt. thanks jim.