Entertainment Center for my son

Warren White

Here is a picture of an entertainment center I built for (and with the help of) my youngest son.

The basic design was his, influenced only by how I felt it might be best implemented.

A fun project, more so by being able to work with him on the weekends when he was in town.

Thanks for looking! Your comments are most welcome.
Warren

Attachments

• ENTERTAINMENT1.JPG
    ENTERTAINMENT1.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 121
  • ENTERTAINMENT2.JPG
    ENTERTAINMENT2.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 111
Beautiful choice of wood for the corner posts... I love that figure. Even the drawer fronts have similar wood pattern, were they sliced from the same board?

Best part is like you said, getting to work with your son on something. I'm 54 and I enjoy going out into the woods with my Dad (80) and cutting firewood with him as well as using the Ripsaw and Alaskan mill to make lumber from the bigger trees.

Wow Warren - that is a really handsome piece. :thumb:
I love the clean lines and honest design. Great choice of material and well executed. Way to go!

Hi Warren :wave:,
I agree with Rennie and Dave, it does have a clean line and straight forward appearance with very nice stiles for the vertical support. It has that contemporary feel to it. Wonderful project, well done :thumb:.
Shaz :)

Beautiful choice of wood for the corner posts... I love that figure. Even the drawer fronts have similar wood pattern, were they sliced from the same board?

Best part is like you said, getting to work with your son on something. I'm 54 and I enjoy going out into the woods with my Dad (80) and cutting firewood with him as well as using the Ripsaw and Alaskan mill to make lumber from the bigger trees.

Thanks, Dave. Yes, working with Chris was a lot of fun.

The drawers were cut from one board, but they had to be edge jointed to make up the width we needed. He wanted overlay drawer fronts, but after taking infinite care to make story sticks for the length and width, I cut them one inch too short in both dimensions. He settled for inlay, and I think it fit with the overall design better.

Thanks for your kind comments.
Warren

Thanks to each of you for your kindness. It is nice to have others enjoy what you have done; this is a great community.

I should have mentioned the finish, which was Zinsser Seal Coat (diluted 50% with denatured alcohol) as a wipe on (3 or 4 coats), followed by a spray application of Fuhr pre-cat water borne lacquer. Then wax.

Pretty simple, but it worked out well for this project.

Warren

I'm a bit late seeing this Warren, but that's a very nice piece of work. The corner posts really grab my attention, and in a good way. :clap: Nice overall clean look to it.

Wow the finish you used really brings out the grain of the wood.

Beautifully executed.

What was your choice of wood for this piece (for those of us who are not so well versed in grain patterns :D )

Again, I appreciate all of your comments.:wave:

Yann, The wood is cherry, purchased from Higgins Hardwood here in Livermore. Cherry is one of my favorite woods.

Since my son lives in Santa Cruz, he only comes up on weekends. It made the project take a lot longer than normal, but it was worth the extra time to work with him.

Thanks again,
Warren