Oneway Live Center..........*Got It!!*

Stuart Ablett

I'm looking at getting the Oneway Live center.........

live_center_250px.jpg

A decent review >> Here <<

I have the stock Nova Live center, which is OK, and one that came with the lathe, a Groz unit, which is also OK, but neither are really great. I've used the Oneway live center a bit at some of our club meetings, and I'm really impressed with it.

I need to buy some stuff, new grinding wheels, and such, so adding this to the order seems to make sense, the other thing I'm interested in, with this unit is the adapter that screws onto the live center that you then screw your chuck onto, this way, when taking the bowl from the faceplate to the chuck, the bowl will be centered in the chuck, the other thing I see this useful for is for centering bowls onto a vacuum chuck. Lastly, the pen turning point, this looks worthwhile to save the aluminum points.

If you have this live center, can you tell me about it?

If you have some reason why you think it is bunk, well, lets hear that too! :thumb:

Cheers!

Last edited:
Stu, I read the review and this looks identical to the LC that came w/my PM. Except I didn't get the additional larger cone. I didn't read anything in the review that talked about a part for the LC that screws to a chuck, so I was a bit confused about that. First, I will say that the LC that came w/my PM is a DREAM compared to any other LC I've tried and well worth the extra money.

Osolnik has this LC for $49.95.

And the Oneway LC adapter for the chuck adds another $50 to the cost. But I'm betting it would fit the LC above.

Stu,

I have both Oneway and the Nova LC, IMO they are equally good.
The Oneway bull nose is larger (Nova is smaller and was a separate accessory), but the 60° cone is soft aluminum. It can be nicked easily with pens mandrel but re-trued with turning tool very easy.
The Nova has a stud for you to make special wood cone (such as for sphere turning). With Oneway you have tap it with 3/4" X 10 TPI tap.

I also have the Revolving Center Adapter for you to attach your chuck for reverse chucking alignment. It is good in theory, but not very accurate in use. The Oneway LC has some clearance on the bearing, when you attach a heavy chuck with a tall bowl, the gravity would pull your work slightly off center. I find it is no more accurate than marking the center of the bottom and aligning with the point of the LC.

If you have this live center, can you tell me about it?

Okay, Stu, I do have this live center. About all I can tell you about it different from what the Oneway site has to say is that I like it very much. Mind you, I went from a real piece-of-junk dead center to this so I guess I would like it, wouldn't I? It runs so smoothly it's amazing!:eek: Unfortunately, not having used any other LCs I can't say whether it's better than the more economical models out there.
Come to think of it, I guess this probably isn't much help, is it?:dunno::huh:

Good luck on your decision. As for me, I've come to think very highly of anything Oneway and am willing to pay a bit extra for their products as I appreciate quality. I've too often bought tools more than once because I saved(?) money buying a cheap tool the first time. Also, I must admit I like buying from a Canadian company and avoiding problems with the revenue people when things come across the border; been there, done that!:(

From what I've been told, the live center on the PM5320 and the Jet 1620 is a clone of the Oneway center.

Not having the Oneway, but having the PM live center all I can say that is is a really nice live center. The best I own.

I have the OneWay live center and like it. I don't have much to compare it to, though. I needed some of the cones that it comes with and that's why I bought it. But it's worked well for me.

I only do turning as a sideline to my primary work, which is furniture, so my opinions of turning things should be viewed in that light.

Mike

Here are the photos of the special nose cones that I am talking about. I find them useful for reversing when you don't want to leave the mark of the point on the bottom.

a317e510.jpg

7cf51aac.jpg

The Nova is easier to knock out the point for changing to a different point.

Other than wood, I also have cones made from UHMW, those super slippery plastic. Similar to something like this:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...g_Centers___Versa_Center___versa_center?Args=

It is a cheap alternative to the $75 live center.

I've made a few of those for my LC too, Gordon. They work quite well. And I've used the same technique for jam chucks too. It's one of the things I like best about the LC that came with my 3520B. It frees up a hand when trying to center a turning.:thumb:

Stu, I have the Oneway and the Nova and all I have to say is that I use the Nova 99% of the time. That is not saying the Oneway is not a good center, I just find the Nova more versatile.

I find the versatility of the different tips to be a great advantage. This is particularly true for my box work. I like the ability to use different turned centers on the screw for the Nova. I really learned the advantage to this when I made a large run of pepper and salt mills for Christmas.

For the going price of $49.95 I think it is a great live center.

But as Frank said I also have a bunch of cheap $10 centers for rough work. I see no need to use an expensive center when mounting a bowl blank between centers.

Lots of info guys, thanks!

The only thing I worry about with the Nova live center, which does look good, is that I'm hearing a lot of complaints about their chucks, now that the production facility has moved to China :dunno:

Mike, when did you buy your Nova live center?

I know with the Oneway, I'll not be returning it because it is of questionable quality, returns really hurt me, as shipping is a killer.

I'll keep noodling this one.............. could end up getting both :rolleyes: :D

Stu, I am assuming you are asking me. I bought my Nova live center about 2 years ago. At that time I was able to pick it up for around $90. Currently Nova is offering it for less than $50

Stu, I don't know where I read it but not all chucks are being produced in China. At least I think that is what I remember. I do understand your concern about returns. Have you no sources for such things locally?

Stu I have two of the oneway livecenters and I work them hard. Not a bit of problem. I had to return two Nova live centers and just got my money back. Bearings squealed on both.

Stu I have two of the oneway livecenters and I work them hard. Not a bit of problem. I had to return two Nova live centers and just got my money back. Bearings squealed on both.

Yes, that is what I worry about, the cost of returning something like this would be more than the price of the part.

Mike S. yes I was asking you, thanks for the reply.

I think I'll go with the Oneway and maybe even the Nova :dunno:

Yes I can get this stuff locally, but the prices are about triple, and I still have to pay shipping, although it is a lot less.

Cheers!

Stu, I don't know where I read it but not all chucks are being produced in China. At least I think that is what I remember. I do understand your concern about returns. Have you no sources for such things locally?

i just picked up two SN2 chucks, one in Nov 07 and the second in Feb 08. Both where made in New Zealand. But if I had to guess, the dealers still had old stock to sell. I think all their chucks are now made in China.

I've heard mixed reviews, some say the Chinese chucks are just as good as the NZ chucks, others say they will never buy another Nova chuck again.
I'm not sure if it is a question of quality control or the user.

I've been watching this topic with some interest as I have wanted a oneway LC for awhile. One thing I am a little concerned about in the length of it. The DVR has a short enough bed as is. Do you think that will have any effect on you work? I can't remember if you have a bed extenstion or not.
I have to say both centers (live and spur) that came with the DVR leave something to be desired. I don't use either of them.

Yes I have the bed extension, I should have bought that sooner it is SO nice to have that extra length to just push the tail stock out of the way!:thumb:

I'd have to look for the drive center that came with the DVR :huh:

The live center is OK, but I dropped it and bent the sharp point on it :doh:

Bernie, I am saddened to hear that about the Nova live centers you had a problem with. That worries me. I hope that does not mean an overall lack of quality will begin to show up in Teknatool products. I am assuming you are talking about the new versions which are less than $50. My older Nova live center has been a workhorse that I use all the time.

Kevin, I will agree with you that the drive and live centers that came with my Nova 3000 were not much but I replaced them with better shortly after I realized that. Of course I was new to turning at that time and did not realize how crappy they were.

I have been using Nova chucks since I bought my first one, an original Nova scroll chuck with the Tommy bars that I picked up on closeout. I moved up to the Super Nova when it was on closeout then I have bought several Super Nova II's. I have been very pleased with all of my Nova chucks, in particular, the interchangeability of the jaws. Of course this interchangability does not apply to one jaw set for the Titan and some other jaws for the Nova midi chuck. I have not been concerned about those problems since I just have the other chucks.

Stu, I am sure you will be happy with the Oneway. My reason for strongly supporting the Nova live center are the auxiliary centers which I have become accustomed to using. When my Nova live center gives up the ghost as all live centers must I hope I can find a replacement.