cameras in the shop

Mike Gager

not sure where to ask this question but this seemed like a good place

im curious how you guys keep dust from getting into your cameras when you have them in the shop? especially during a project?

in the past ive taken pics in the shop and always found dust spots in the pictures from it getting on the lense. and with my old camera, even INSIDE the lense! i kept the camera covered in the case until time to take the picture but still managed to get dust spots. you guys have any tips? i dont want to mess up my camera with dust getting inside of it like my last one

I don't keep my camera in the shop.

I bring it in when I want to take a shot, and then take it out again.

Do you have a Dust Collector and/or an Ambient Air cleaner? I do, and maybe that is why I've never had any issues with this.

But also, I usually DON'T stop in the middle of a procedure to snap a shot. I usually take pictures at a time when I am NOT woodworking, so maybe by then any remaining dust has settled out.

Time will tell.
...art

I have a dedicated camera for the shop which I inherited from my mom after we got her a new one for Christmas. Plus, I keep that in the office I have out in my shop when I'm not using it which stays reasonably clean. Like Art, I usually don't stop to take pictures, but take them at the end of a day of significant progress.

I have a little Casio Exlim that fits in my back pocket handily. I usually use that one for progress shots, but it doesn't stay in the shop. If I'm taking more than just snapshots, I'll grab my Nikon, but I don't leave it sitting in the shop. I can set it down easily in the laundry room (next door to the shop) so it's out of the dust but close at hand.

yeah my old camera i kept in the case and only took it to the shop when i was ready to take pictures. it still got dust in the lense :(

i have no dust collector in my new shop and just walking around out there not even doing any work just stirring up dust thats on everything and i get dust on my glasses

What laughingly passes for my office is right next door to my shop. My Sony digi-cam is on my desk at all times. If I need a picture from the shop it is only a couple steps away. Would never keep it in there because of the dust situation.

dust spots

Try a little expieriment, Make sure there is good light and get a pictur without a flash. Then take the picture with the flash. You will notice that there will be dust orbes all over your picture with the flash on. It will be most evedent in an action photo where you are showing part of the procces and the dust hasn't setteled yet. My thought is, if you can't take a pictur without a flash you need more light to see what you are doing. Without a flash you will take nice pictures , then look at your lens fodder and wonder how the picture came out so well. I keep a camera in the shop inside a small zipper case and it has functioned well for years.
Mike

Let's see, How do I keep dust off my Camera................Oh yes, now I remember............ the LOML hid it before a three year old (that is obsessed with cameras) arrived for a visit, and I haven't seen it since, (seeing as she can't remember where she hid it).:rolleyes::doh::(:(:(

I must admit that I hadn't needed it since then, so I didn't know it was MIA until she came in the other day in a real rush asking me where my camera was so she (and those other "mid 60's Teenage Girls") could take it to see "George Strait" in Lubbock.

Last edited:
If it is going to stay in the shop for a few hours, then I use a gallon plastic ziplock bag.

Other wise I just take it to the shop take the pictures and return it to it's correct home. LOML's pocket book.

I thought I was getting a digital camera. Turns out that SHE now has a camera that I get to use. She does use it for business and BLOG. Yea I am a very lucky guy. That was dinner a few nights ago.

I guess I am hard on cameras.I have smoked three thus far, but they have had a hard life. One literally got smoked. I used it in my father house after it burned to take pictures for the insurance company. A week later the smoke must have got inside it because it soon died.

Now I buy those cheap Sanyo's for 80 bucks and use them as long as they last. They are not the best pictures, but its pretty much a disposable camera at that price. If I get a year out of it, I am happy.