New Cordless Router!

Ed Nelson

I decided I needed a cordless router, so I made one! It ain't pretty to look at, but it works quite well (at least in soft pine!!)

IMG_0373.JPG

IMG_0372.JPG

:thumb: Looks like it'll get the job done. That one is simply gorgeous compared to some of the hand planes and such I've made. Won't find no purple wood in any of my tools.:rofl:

That's pretty slick, Ed. I like the use of the eyebolt. I'll have to keep that in mind for other possible applications. :thumb:

Thanks guys.

The "purple" wood is actually a piece of black walnut fire wood! Lots of checks and cracks, but I found just enough to cobble this together!

Hi Ed :wave:,
I am keeping an eye on you. :D This invention is very thought provoking. I am not ready to sell all my corded routers but I think you are onto something! Quite clever and it seems to work just fine. :thumb:
Thanks,
Shaz :)

Thanks guys.

The "purple" wood is actually a piece of black walnut fire wood! Lots of checks and cracks, but I found just enough to cobble this together!

The purple I was referring to was the purple heart so many folks insist on having their Steve Knight planes made with and the proclivity of some folks to want to use purple heart and other fancy woods for making tools.

Firewood salvage, huh? Cool. Air dried walnut is one of my favorites though it is a bit difficult to find around these parts. All the store bought is steamed and kiln dried which kills the color in my opinion. You just don't get that purple from steamed walnut.

The purple I was referring to was the purple heart so many folks insist on having their Steve Knight planes made with and the proclivity of some folks to want to use purple heart and other fancy woods for making tools.

Please a thousand apologies Jerry as I am guilty of that too. Paul Hubbman and I co-worked on his Stanley #140 and for the fence I used Purpleheart. Its a sickness I know and I just could not help myself. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

As for the router plane, that is cool. I have a book on home-made and ingenious tools and the router plane has got to be one of the most often hand-built planes out there. I think because as you show, its so easy to do. One of the tools I I hope to make soon is a router plane, but of course use stainless steel!

Paul Hubbman's Plane:

plane_4-344x260.jpg

Travis,
That looks almost too purty to use.

I tend to use what ever I happen to have in the shop if I need (or want) to make a tool, and since I use a lot of white oak and pecan, lots of stuff I've made is made from that. About the only "exotic" I use often is mesquite, and here's a pic of a French Style Marking Gauge I made.

FrenchGauge.jpg

That is about as fancy as it gets for me unless you want to count the Wenzloff kit saw I made.

]
kit16.jpg