Hollow Form Variation

This is an experiment in form. The pedestal and collar are cherry, the hollow form is birdseye maple and the finial is curly maple. The pedestal was turned so that it would be a continuation of the curve of the hollow form. I wanted the collar to look like it was something that was laid on the hollow form and then just assumed the form – sorta like soft fabric. The base of the finial was turned to reflect the soft curve of the collar and the bulbous portion of the finial was to reflect my favorite shape of hollow form - in miniature.

HF Variation V1.JPG HF Variation V2.JPG

The HF with finial is 7 3/4" high X 3" diameter. Everything was sanded to 400 grit and has one coat of thinned Minwax Poly. Nothing is glued together – just in case I wanted to change something down the road.

As always, your thoughts, comments, critiques and suggestions are most appreciated!

Thanks for looking! :wave:

Steve again another beautiful piece. The only thing I might have did different was made the finial just slightly smaller and a little more delicate. Wow good looking piece though Steve.

Nice job, Steve. I'm still unexperienced with finials, so take my comments with a big grain of salt. ;) I think the bulb section would have looked better mimicking the shape of the hollow form it's mated with, instead of a different shape (even though I also like that shape of hollow forms). I also agree with Bernie about the finial being a bit lighter...I think it would look good.

That said, it's still a great-looking piece, and more proof that you're a turnin' machine. :thumb:

Well Steve, your experiment came out very very well.
Everything good in proportion, but I'm agree with Bernie and Vaughn about the finial, a smaller finial would be better, more delicate.
Overall your experiment with another hollow form looks great to me, so for me a success.
Cheers. Ad :wave:

steve, interesting to me as i'm trying finials for the first time. the wood and craftmanship are great. i get your description of the collar to HF fit and that's good too. i just think the collar to finial should flow much the same the HF to base does. good idea to not glue together until you're completely convinced it's right.

Steve, I have to agree with the others, great form on the main body, but the finial is just a bit bulky. I like the idea of the shape of the finial reflecting your favorite HF shape. Maybe put a finial like it on a HF of the same shape? :dunno:

Does This Finial Work Better?

Thanks for all the input everyone! I do appreciate it!

Had a piece of curly maple left over from the first finial - so thought I would try to make one a little less bulky

Let me know what you think...

HF Variation Version 2.JPG

Thanks for looking!:wave:

Steve, I like that one much better than the first. I didn't really care for the way the top end on the first one was shaped.:huh:
Also, and this is definitely a matter of personal taste, I find the cherry a bit bland with that beautiful maple. As I said, a matter of personal taste; I'm sure many others will like it a lot.:dunno:

i agree that the new finial is a keeper. mirrors the shape of the HF and is delicate enough without risking breakage during a mishap. i'm learning that the start of the sweep above the 'bulb' in these finials needs to look like it's tangent to the 'bulb' itself, and yours does

Thanks guys! I thought the newer finial was the better match.

Gord - I agree that the cherry is a little bland but at this point it is more a matter of working with what you have on hand. On the plus side - the cherry will darken in relatively short amount of time - so the contrast in the piece will continue to develop.