Your Spring "BUILD" list?

Jeff Horton

I build year round but some of you weather challenged people are looking forward to spring. (71 here today BTW) On Woodnet I saw this and thought it was interesting thread.

So what is on your Spring Build List? I complied mine and frankly I was surprised at all the things that are on my list. Granted all of them probably won't get done. Most maybe.

I got the coolest project starting in a few days!

* 2 yes TWO Sea Kayaks.
* A strip canoe. Its on the list, way down though
* Some paddles for the above
* A cherry TV stand. It is HIGH up the list per my wife! And I agree, right after the kayaks are done.
* Promised my MIL a pair of Mission end tables
* Talked about Sister in law a coffee table
* Wife mentioned a bench/trunk/storage thing last night
* High up the list. A wall hung tool cabinet for my hand tools!
* Finish the restoration on the 30" bandsaw
* New Arts and Crafts Handrails on the two sets of steps out back.
* Removable frames with screens for the back porch
* Build a screen door for the back porch

Dang, I am going to be busy!!

Oh yea, I want to build a new solid wood bench top for assembly bench too. :doh:

Glad I love wood working!

Last edited:
I think it goes without saying that my primary item is closing in the shop, so:

1) Roof
2) end walls
3) doors
4) install windows
5) steps for man-door (vs main entrance, which has steps already)

inside the house:
repair floor in living room
re-install front door
replace 4 internall doors
kitchen renovation
boys bedroom upgrades
end tables for living room
entertainment center
window/door treatments throughout house (vinyl windows, no casings or such around them)

SMaller shop built items:
Cutting boards
Boxes (artsy style)
bandsawn boxes
learning to turn...

think that will keep me busy?

great thread.

Ive only got 2 pieces I want to do as of now:

An oak credenza, with 4 doors.
A small bathroom cabinet for towel/supplies storage for my kid in her apartment

I have alot of work I want to touch up from last year. New paint, and that stuff. But like always, Ill probably be waist deep in projects in a few months.

I acutally just finished making this list a few days ago....

1. Turn
2. Replace facia boards on garage.
3. Add flashing to many spots on roof
4. Turn
5. Build china cabinet
6. Turn
7. Rebuild my 2X4 workbench
8. Turn
Did I mention I want to turn a little this spring?:D

If I make a list, I'll just hack off the hubby, but....

1. Replace the floors in the living/dining/pantry/hall with parquet
2. Sand and paint the mouldings in the bedroom/bathroom
3. Re-do the shower in the master bathroom
4. Build computer hutch for the house office

Unfortunately, these are maintenance items for the house, as most of the building of furniture and cabinets is done---after 15 years in the house, there's not anything more we want to do, and no room to put anything anyway!!

It's amazing, I could almost post last year's spring list :eek::rofl::rofl:
BUT..... This year I'll REALLY try hard to knock a few things off the list.
  1. Finish the built ins in the master bedroom (this one's been on the list for 5 years!:eek:)
  2. Swap the home office and den - this means all new office furniture as the den is about 20% smaller and none of the current built in desks, etc. will fit.
  3. Make a new cross for our church
  4. Once we move the current office to the den the furniture we have in our living room will move into the new den - then the living room will be empty. So.......... at least one chair and table for the living room.
  5. Replace the fence around our back yard before it falls down on its own.:eek:
  6. Copy over this list and keep it in a safe place so I don't have to retype it next year! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

My list includes, but is not limited to:

Cabinet under the table saw extension to finally have a place to store some of the table saw stuff

Prayer rail for my church

Two more Rocking chairs

And what ever LOML has planned for me to make :D

Mine will vary, since I'm getting my house ready to go on the market. But here is the for sure items:

• Basement, frame out another bedroom and bath, prior to resell.
  • 1 more filet knife
  • TS cabinet/storage
  • Lathe base/storage
  • New CNC Router, got 2 of the 60" rails via UPS yesterday.

Jeff, I am interested in this design... "* New Arts and Crafts Handrails on the two sets of steps out back." :thumb:

What do they look like? Got any pictures or plans? :huh:

Jeff, I am interested in this design... "* New Arts and Crafts Handrails on the two sets of steps out back." :thumb:

What do they look like? Got any pictures or plans? :huh:

That was my next post, asking for ideas. :eek:

Seriously, no. I have racked my brain on this for months and no really good ideas. Well I a couple but were weren't to practical.

I build year round but some of you weather challenged people are looking forward to spring. (71 here today BTW)

71 eh? ... nice guy ... rub it in why doncha' :) ... just about 0'F here this morning...

I only have one spring building project - a new garden shed - I'd like to do post and beam, but we won't be here long enough to enjoy it before we move, so off to the BORG for 2x's I guess.

cheers eh?.

Got a show this coming weekend (Mar 15-16) so I've been working evenings making product for that, but when that is done Sun, next job woodworking wise is to do some major rearranging of my shop to make room for the CNC router coming end of March. That means re-wiring circuits and moving outlets, moving some cast iron around, and re-arranging part of my DC system to service the CNC. I figure 2-3 weeks of evenings and weekends before things are back in order and I can make sawdust again. After that, other than a small show in July, I'll be spending the summer designing jigs and setups on the CNC for the fall shows where it can (hopefully) start to pay for itself. In the meantime, I have approx 1000 bd ft of osage orange logs in the driveway I need to mill into lumber. THAT will be taking much of my woodworking time. What am I going to do with that much osage orange? I don't know, but I couldn't pass it up. Around here it's hard to get large strait clear sections of that stuff so I jumped. It happens to be my favorite wood to work in the shop for several reasons.
osage-1.jpg

Very little woodworking involved, but my list is something like:

1. I'd still like to build an armoire for our bedroom. This has been on the list for at least two years, and will probably still be there next year. ;)

2. Fix grout in the kitchen and dining room floors. (Lots of holes are showing up since the installer didn't do a good job. Looks like I may have to dig out all the old grout and just re-do the whole thing. Makes my back and knees hurt just thinking about it.)

3. Get rain gutters replaced on the whole house.

4. While the rain gutters are off, paint all the house trim (or pay someone else to do it).

5. Add a new section of sidewalk in the back yard, so LOML doesn't have to walk on dirt or wet grass as she's taking out the trash.

6. Remove and replace the fireplace mantel (and the water-damaged paneling above it).

I'm sure LOML will have other ideas that pop up as the summer progresses. In the meantime, I'm going to be turning, turning, turning. I've got a show coming up the the beginning of next month, and possibly another one at the end of April. We'll see how those go before I apply for any more this summer.

Don't worry, it wont last. First spring feeling day we have had. But even though they are not predicting it, it will get cold again and probably soon. If you don't like our weather, just hang around. It will change.

Worked out in the garage with the door open whilst SWMBO cleaned out the car and my truck, Really nice here but rain is on the way. 15" snow over the weekend and near 70 today :huh:

BTW Jeff, where is "Location: The Heart of Dixie" for I Be at the top edge of Dixie.

I got quite a few carpentry tasks to do, but to tell you the truth, ever since May of last year I have done nothing but build my addition and now that its done, I have absolutely no ambition to pick up a skillsaw and start more construction projects.

I have a few smaller projects, but I won't bore you with those details. The biggest thing I have this Spring is a bunch of landscaping. My front yard has a deck that has lasted 5 more years then it should have. I need to tear that down and build a patio.

Its going to be out of gravel and native rock so its a low cost, but lot of work kind of project. A lot of digging with my tractor, and a lot of rock wall building, but I am used to that. I actually enjoy building rock walls, at least until I see my first snake, and then rock wall building is over for the summer:)

I plan on asking FWWer's for ideas, but right now four feet of snow is covering the area I want to work up, so no sense snapping pictures and asking patio questions now.

Bowl
Pen
Pen
Bottle Stopper
Toothpick Holder
Toothpick Holder
Bowl
Pen
Pen
Bottle Stopper
Bottle Stopper
Bottle Stopper
Pen
Bowl
Pen
Bowl
Bowl
Pen
Pen
Bowl
Pen
Pen
Bottle Stopper
Bottle Stopper
Pen
Pen
Toothpick Holder
Toothpick Holder
Toothpick Holder

:D

Well I can't leave behind.

My plans.

1. painting some chairs upstairs, the LOML ask me many times to do so.
2. the 28th of may for 17 days to Italy and Sicily, looking already forward for
this trip.
3. a lot of fishing, I missed that last year with all the remodeling work I had
to do in my daughters house.
4. building my oval turning device, got now a better design.
5. and not to forget some woodturnings.
6. having a lot of fun.

Plan? You guys plan?

Sigh, okay then

- small end table (dry fit last night, so give it a week yet)
- bedroom nightstand (might be pushed back later)
- tall dresser for son #2 (another of these.)
- sports/toy equip organizer for garage
- probably some other book shelf/end-table thingy for the LR
- whatever else strikes my fancy

(oh yeah, that order is subject to change, guaranteed)

Bowl
Pen
Pen
Bottle Stopper

Alas, poor Stu. We knew him when he used other tools beside the spinny thing. He's completely gone 'round the bend. I remember when he posted plans for cigar cabinets and the likes for the shop. But does he even look at flat work any more??? sigh. :rolleyes: :dunno: