Outdoor furniture -plans, no plans, leftover wood, scraps

allen levine

The reason I began cutting wood 2 years ago all began when I travelled to Lancaster PA, and spent a few days looking at Amish built Oak furniture, both indoor and outdoor.
My kids are grown, past the stage of amusement parks, but Hershey kept them busy while I drove around viewing the local craftsmans work.

It was all beautiful, and my wife was thinking about purchasing some outdoor chairs, similar to ones I bought 20 years earlier(still have them, they are in great shape), just wanted to add two more.
The seller was asking 149 dollars, so we shopped around.
Found similar styles adirondack, all around 150, some up as far as 200.
There were sales, 99 bucks, but it seemed the chairs werent built as sturdy.
I was looking at the chairs, saying....hmmmmmm. 300 dollars plus any tax if theres tax, then I have to haul this big things hundreds of miles.
Must be only 30 bucks worth of wood on each one, maybe I should try to build one.
So I did, no plans, scrap wood I had laying around, all pine, 2x4s, and 1x4s, 1x6s, my neighbor is a contractor, always had left over wood from jobs, Id take some for shelf building, as kindling, whatever, sometimes Id just pile it up a hope one day Ill use it.
Ofcourse, the chairs were meaty and bulky. I cut them and screwed them with one old electric drill, and a black and decker electric hand saw.
I did use a cross cut saw also.
I painted them red.
I eventually bought a book with plans, and cut all the chairs I make exact, with the correct angles and all.

So I started, and havent stopped since. Its quite addicting.(Im preaching to the choir here I think)
My favorite thing, is to make something out of the waste or leftever wood I have after I build something.
Made this barbeque cart out of left over redwood from the redwood table.
I ran out of tiles, so I had to buy 8 black tiles.
Whenever I get free pressure treated, or have extra,I build childrens adirondack chairs,(my own design, and I actually wrote down a set of plans so they all come out exactly the same) and give them to people I know who have kids.
Its great when you dont need a piece of wood longer than 2 feet.
Id like to see what others build for outdoor use.

Attachments

• Tiki 128 (Medium).jpg
    Tiki 128 (Medium).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Tiki 161 (Medium).jpg
    Tiki 161 (Medium).jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 73
  • chairs 011 (Medium).jpg
    chairs 011 (Medium).jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Tiki 158 (Medium).jpg
    Tiki 158 (Medium).jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 68
Allen

I have seen you refer to this book you bought several times but I can't say that I have ever heard you say just what book it is. I am always looking for a good book of plans though I rarely do more than dream. Would you mind sharing the title of this book?

Garry

the book is in my garage, Ill check out the title, it was a complete book on routing, hand held , table, hints, ideas, and around 10 projects in the back, most of the other plans I follow I get off the internet, I type in the subject, and use the plans, or alter them a bit.
The bbq cart is mine, the baby adirondack chair is mine.

heres the book, its bascially for a beginner I believe. I bought it at least a year ago, maybe longer. I still read it, it offers 10 projects, some easy, like the chair, some a bit more difficult.

I went with my wife to the local library to take out books on basic carpentry, basic construction techniques, deckbuilding, woodworking, and so on. Most of the books were older than me. Doesnt seem to be too popular in the library.

Attachments

• Tiki 272 (Medium).jpg
    Tiki 272 (Medium).jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Tiki 273 (Medium).jpg
    Tiki 273 (Medium).jpg
    56 KB · Views: 14
  • Tiki 274 (Medium).jpg
    Tiki 274 (Medium).jpg
    60 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Allen
Thanks for looking up the information on the book. I love router books!..

You sure have done some nice work. It always seems to me like materials cost too much anymore..

I am not an artist and work better from plans. I think I'll do a search for that book.

Garry

PS Looks as if its still available new on Amazon...

Last edited:
If it's any use to you, here's a web site that has quite a long list of free plans. They're mostly a compilation of free plans available on the internet. I've sent a few people there and they were happy with what they found.

Disclaimer: No affiliation with the site.

Oh LORD....I guess the site would help!!!!!!
http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/index.php

My chuckle on me for the night!! Gotta stay out of the rum bottle when posting!!!

Last edited:
If it's any use to you, here's a web site that has quite a long list of free plans. They're mostly a compilation of free plans available on the internet. I've sent a few people there and they were happy with what they found.

Disclaimer: No affiliation with the site.
And, that site would be? :dunno::D