What should I ask for?

Best thing for cutting up sheet goods?

• Go with Festool, with a long guide. $640

Votes: 30 50.8%
  • Go with EZ-smart, with a new saw. $550

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • stick with your redline cutting guide, and your dumpy old circular saw

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • Forget it. Doorlink will say no anyway! Pound sand! ;)

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • What, are you crazy? You need more turning tools!

Votes: 7 11.9%

• Total voters
Well, I've watched clips of both of these systems till I'm blue in the face. For the word count of all the stuff I've read about both, I could have re-read Ulysses. And the religious devotion, and counter-revulsion, displayed by devotees makes me think a new St. Batholomew's day is coming. It's like red sox/yankees, or chargers/raiders. Or mayo/mustard. Geez... ;) It reminds me about my favorite saying about politics: "A horse is just a horse. It ain't Pegasus... ;)

I have some sympathy for the bricolage approach. But I'm a complete doofus, as we know. On the other hand, both systems seem to lead to more purchases. Dino invents some new bridge concept, and pretty soon there's more stuff to buy. But speaking of more stuff to buy, people end up with a shop full of festools. For what they end up paying, I could end up with some serious mustard! Lots of people don't even build their own MFTs! They just suck it up and pay. Maybe I'm on the wrong platform. This train don't carry no gamblers, and for me, this is high stakes serious green. :(

But I need something. My most precious commodity is time. I have even less of that than I have pocket change. Yes, either system would cost more than I spent for my table saw. I actually walked Doorlink into the local woodcraft yesterday, hoping they'd have something to look at, but no dice. And there's no way I could ever think about the 400 bucks for the dust collector, which means another bricolage set up for a shop vac. Which means more time, and I'd still be working like the doofus I am! ;)

Arrgh! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

I guess, as we are spending Bill's money, most are opting for the Festool :D

I am a bit surprised at the only 4 votes for the Ez system, I've got the Festool and I lot it, but I have to say, the Ez system does have it's points.

Cheers!

Bill,
FWIW, I have the EZ system. I like the capabilities it has added to my shop. I have used it for breaking down ply and cutting some wayward stock (warped) for a trellis. For both it has worked very well. I picked up the 100" set for around $150 (show sale) and a Worx saw for $52 (it's $73 right now on Amazon) - I couldn't stand my worn old Craftsman anymore - otherwise, I could have used what I had until I came across the funds for more.
With that said, I think you could put together a really nice set for a lot less than $550.
If you've got the funds the Festool sounds like a great system. I can't justify the cost for my needs. If I were a pro (or had any talent for that matter:rolleyes:) I would consider it.
Like I said, FWIW,:)
Wes
PS I didn't vote because I think the basic EZ can be put together for less than $550 - but then again I'm cheap.

Last edited:
...I've been tempted by sanders, but I usually just think of how much wood I could buy instead, and look at my $30 Ryobi that also hooks up to my shop vac, and the temptation passes...
I'll second the comments on the $30 Ryobi ROS. I've used mine hard and still have not been able to kill it. Hooks up to the regular ol' shop vac (and not some $500 version), and I can use it all night and not have sore, tingly hands that other guys mention when discussing using a ROS.

Cutting Up Sheet Goods

I can't even afford to look at Festool ads! I vote for a straightedge and a circ saw. Sure, it is slower and makes more dust, but think of all the other things you could get with that money - more sheet goods?

Jim

Ok, the suspense is killing me... what did you get????

HB Bill L.! :b-day_cake:

--MJ, who voted "pound sand" heh! :D

Not sure what Bill got but I think maybe a fence :doh: & he's sitting on it :dunno: with a lunch box & a flashlight.:eek::D:thumb::wave::rofl:

Bill come out here & we'll let you sit on a fence :doh: & whisper in someones ear which side the fence is Festool & which is EZ smart & then I'll come along not knowing:dunno: which side is which & gently knock you off the fence then all you need to do is buy the system.:):D:thumb::rofl:

Hey, Jimmy,

That's very cool! But when you say something like like, the first thing people are going to want is pics. Lots and lots of pics! ;)

The way people love pics around here, you'd think we all come from Missouri! ;) The mantra is always "No pics, didn't happen!" ;)

Have you already posted a shop tour? Did I miss it? ;)

Thanks,

Bill