Other design Oval turning device

Ad de Crom

Former Member (at his request)
After thinking a long time on my first design, I found another and more simply way for building an oval turning device, so with less parts than in my first design, and also with the possibility to turn three different oval shapes..
All the rotating parts are fitted with rollerbearings, and the swivel points with nylon bearings. The device is lathe driven by using chainwheels with rollerchains. The reduction between the driven shaft and the faceplate is 1:2, so a rotation of 180 degrees of the crankshaft means a rotation of 90 degrees of the faceplate, and a translation of the faceplate to the left, this movement creates a quarter of the oval shape.
Most of the needed parts, like rollerbearings, chainwheels and other material I have in stock.
Think to start with building this device in about a couple of weeks, having still the time to think it all over, and to change something.
Thanks for looking.
Ad

Attachments

• Oval turning device - other design.jpg
    Oval turning device - other design.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 131
As a formal mechanical designer i find this interesting. I just stopped to eat something and I don't have time to study it and understand it right now. But I will come back to it tonight probably. Very interested in what you have there.

I don't really want to go back to my old job but I do miss this kind of stuff.

Very interesting design.... it does take a bit of time to understand.
Here's one very similar in construction: http://www.claycritters.com/lathe/

Thanks Jim for making me attent to this website, I studied this oval turning device of Bollinger already, before I started with to developed my own version. For this Bollinger version you need a well equipped machine shop, which I don't have. So I have to do it with the possibility's I have in my own workshop, that means also a lot of handwork.
Thank you very much for taking the time for looking to the drawing. I appreciate this very much.

Ad

Oval turning device, production of parts

Started yesterday with the production of parts for the Oval turning device.
Used parts of a bike, like the chainwheel 44tooth, and the crankaxle.
The spindle for the rocking headstock is made of a 20mm tube, and cut off bearing parts of the crankaxle.
Drilled also 4 holes into the faceplate for fasten pieces of work.
For me is this a fun projects, time consuming, getting dirty hands, by doing it all with my bare hands, without using machinery, except my table drill press.

Thanks for looking.
Ad

Attachments

• 100_1582 .jpg
    100_1582 .jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Oval turning device - other design.jpg
    Oval turning device - other design.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 17