Handcrafted Ship Model

Den Holmes

Hello All,
Here is my new scratch built ship model made out of chestnut wood that I had just finished. Its a scaled 1/96, 64-Gun British Warship, I left some deck and hull planks of the model to show the ships construction.

NewBritishShip.jpg

QUARTERGALLERY.jpg

MAINMAST.jpg

BOWVIEW-1.jpg

Thanks,
Den :)

Wow Den, so I see you're not really a detail-oriented person, huh? Just kind of slapped this thing together, I guess. :rofl:

Kidding of course...that's got to be the most impressive ship model I think I've ever seen. Absolutely stunning. :bow:

That's sure one heck of a way to introduce yourself to the gang here. Welcome aboard! :wave:

Wow Den, so I see you're not really a detail-oriented person, huh? Just kind of slapped this thing together, I guess. :rofl:

Kidding of course...that's got to be the most impressive ship model I think I've ever seen. Absolutely stunning. :bow:

That's sure one heck of a way to introduce yourself to the gang here. Welcome aboard! :wave:
Can't say it better :bow:
If you get bored and feel the need to build a Dutch schooner and put a pirate flag on it I need one.:thumb:
But of course me being a pirate and all I am just going to steel it don't ya know.:thumb:

OK, now that I've got my jaw picked back up off the keyboard, a few questions...

What are the dimensions?

Was it all done with hand tools? (I see you posted this in the Neander showcase. I'm tempted to put a post over in the General Woodworking area just so the folks who don't often come into the hand tool area can have a chance to see the ship.)

How long would you guess it took to build?

I also forgot to compliment the photography work. Very nice pics. :thumb:

HELLO,
Thanks to all for the kind words.
The model is 27" long x 12" wide, and 25" high mid-ship. And has 5 different deck levels, plank-on-frame construction. Total work hours on the model, 1,175, and about 10,000 pieces.

The table saw is used first, then the ban saw to cut out the hull frames, then the rest is hand tools, miter saw, carpenters knife, and files. All the round pieces such as the masts and spindals on the model were turned on my homemade lathe.
For hull, mast, and construction photos click here -
http://www.densmodelships.zoomshare.com/5.html
Thanks again,
Den

Last edited:
Den, welcome to the Family! :wave:

That is one of the most impressive things I've yet to see :clap:

Is this a hobby? If you did it in your spare time, it must have taken a few years?

Can we assume that this is just one in a long line of impressive models?

Stunning, thank you so very much for showing us this masterpiece :clap: :D

Most impressive Den. :thumb:

I can't even imagine me doing something requiring the patience and skill needed to build something of that quality.

I am in awe of your talents.

I would like to see that ship in person. Where are you located, in case I'm ever in the neighborhood?

Karl

Holy Cats ! . . .

I've been in the scratch model game for more than a few years. But, as Merlin said, " Theres always something smarter ( better ) than yourself. " After goggling your ship I'll crawl back into my hole and tone down my ego !

WoOoOoW!
I can almost smell the odor of gun powder, the salty air and hear the swearing of the sailors while they pull up those sails!:thumb::thumb:

Thanks for sharing such a beauty!