doors

Chuck Thoits

Ok so I go out this morning to pull some raised panel doors out of the clamps. Sand them up and run to the customers house to put them in.
Get the fire going, talking on my cell to my blade guy and my phone beep incoming call. I don't recognize the number so I finish up with Norm . Then go about my bizz. Then it dawns on me that the number is the owner of the doors. So I call her back, she's baffled she didn't call me guess her purse did. Thats where her phone has been all morning. Any way she is on her way to get paint. So I ask her what kind of hinges she has for the doors. She says she has not got any hinges (she had forgotten them.) So I have tell her to get 8 pairs. She asks are we using the old hinges for the other 2 doors? Looking at my clamps I realize that I am 2 doors light for the project. So now I have got to set up every thing for just 2 doors. What a pain in the but I think to my self also not going to finish today. That means no check SHOOT! Oh well better get going on the doors. Waite I have no more wood and no more dowels. Scrounge around and find just enough wood for the 2 missing doors. Then head out to get the dowels LOML say honey while you are there can you pick me up some stuff? Get all the stuff at the hardware store 87 dollars worth for an .79 cent bag of dowels:huh:
Back to the shop I get looking at the doors and find that 2 of them are to narrow SHOOT again. On the up side now I have to make 4 doors. Scrounge up some more wood and off I go. Set up rip out the panels,get the panels all raised, rip out the styles and rails, rabbit out the styles and rails. Ready for fit up. Fit up the small doors (The ones that where an inch too short.) SHOOT!!! Now they are the right hight but some where between adding for the hight and my table saw I had a brain fart and ripped them 3/4 too narrow. SHOOT! Ok find the last 2 rough boards in capacitively plan them down rip out new panels and of course a few more styles (Didn't have enough wood to make even one extra) Come up with just enough to remake the panels and the styles. Fit them up ok everything fits. Drill them and into the clamps. And here we are a full day of making saw dust, planer shavings and shaper shavings and we are right back to where we were at 8 o'clock last night.:thumb::eek:

Last edited:
Chuck,

Sheeeesh... I'm
Exhausted.png
just reading your post! :doh:

What a day!

Hi Chuck :wave:,
Thanks for your honesty. Stuff happens and it happens to everybody. It was great that you were able to procure the wood for the extra doors close by. Can't wait to see pics of the finished, and hard earned products.:D
Can't count the times I have said, "well, we're back to where we were". Good news is at that point usually you have a correctly made product in hand you can be proud of. :thumb:
Shaz :)
Hey Greg ! I felt the same way,:rofl::rofl:... Oh... Chuck, not laughing at you, just the little guy exhausted. I have been there. In fact I have a client, everytime I do work for him I feel like that! Plus, a head slapper:doh::doh:. "Again":doh:
Thanks,

Last edited:
Some Days are just like that. You just to keep your fingers crossed that they don't come like Grapes.......(in bunches). I "DO KNOW" where you're coming from, Chuck.:eek:

Chuck I know how you feel. I was in the same boat last week, but fortunately you only lost a day. In my project I lost a whole week.

I got this job at work of making a custom sheave for a sailboat. The sheave block has to be at a 11º angle from forward to aft,then twisted 6º off the centerline of the boat. This gets mounted to a plate on a house cabin top that is on a slight camber. Yeah fun...

So I spend all my time last week fabbing up and machining all the parts. Because the thing is so construed, and this sheave is right in front of the helm, the boat owner will see it every minute he is on the boat. That means function and looks are paramount. So I polish this thing all up, then tack weld the parts together.

Nothing fits. Not too far off, but a more then a few thousandths so this means everything needs re-machining. I start to file, hack and cut on my parts hoping maybe I can save some time. Then I realize its 5pm on a Thursday afternoon. We only work 4 day weeks and get out at 5:30pm. I pull everything apart, set it on my bench and come to the realization I will not hurry this project. I will re-machine everything come Monday...being right back to where I was the Monday before.

It kills you, but sometimes things just don't work out right. Better to take a deep breath, back up and punt again.

I am sure there is not a person here that has not had such a day. It all comes down to rather you can go with the flow.:thumb:
Those 2 doors that I thought where too short are really sides to a trunk. I just forgot I was making a trunk also.

Thanks Chuck. Always nice to hear that I'm not the only one who does stuff like that. At my age Alzheimers occasionally comes to mind, but then I have to ask myself "what mind?".

Cheers.

Thanks Chuck. Always nice to hear that I'm not the only one who does stuff like that. At my age Alzheimers occasionally comes to mind, but then I have to ask myself "what mind?".

Cheers.
We call that part times around here. And yes I do suffer from it.:thumb: