PROJECT: Kids Step Stools

Good morning, Folks! I finished these stools last week, but didn't have a chance to post the results. Several years ago, before he died, my Dad made my oldest son a small step stool with his name stenciled in the top. Recently, my three youngest kids had been arguing over who got to use the stool to help Mom in the kitchen. One day, after watching the baby get pushed off the stool one too many times, I decided that it was time for each of them to have their own stool. After some quick Googling, I found a plan that I could modify to my liking.

Pine was the wood of choice for this project. I had reclaimed some large pine boards from an old waterbed frame, which were the perfect width. After planing, rough cutting, and pattern routing, I was at this point...

2339684657_7330dfdf2c.jpg

I decided on wedged tenons for the cross-brace. It was easy enough. For the tops of the stools, I really wanted to carry forward the names on each stool, but I was dead set on inlaying the names. I studied different methods and techniques, watched some videos and even tried my hand on some scrap. I determined that I wasn't going to be able to do this completely on my own. At that point, I contacted Saw Mill Creek's own Ed Lang, for some engraving advice. Ed let me know that he was extremely busy, and would pass the work along to a trusted friend of his. Later that day, I was contacted by Steve at "Custom Engraving & Signs" in Richmond, VA. After several e-mails back and forth, we were on the same page with what work I wanted done. The day BROWN dropped off his work was very exciting for me. Check out this work....

2339684715_2fc560593c.jpg

The laser burned down about 1/32 of an inch. It was extremely crisp and clean. I wanted to use walnut as the inlay material, mostly for the contrast. I supplied Steve the walnut, and this is what was sent back...

2339684739_295f021b1c.jpg

The laser burned out a mirror image of the name in the walnut. Steve explained that all I had to do was apply A LOT of glue to the pine and walnut, then just flip the inlay material over, make sure it was seated well, and clamp the heck out of if!! When dried, I used light passes with my belt sander on the walnut, until I started to see the outline of the lettering. At that point, I switched to the ROS. Being that the inlay was so shallow, it took a very light hand. I did get a little heavy-handed in a couple of spots, and started to take out more of the inlay than I wanted to. But, I finally got all three tops to this point...ready to be attached to the sides...

2339684841_500fb5cdbf.jpg

I can't say enough about Steve, and his willingness to work with me. He was very patient with me, and in the end, I would recommend him to anybody!!

Anyway, I used the Miller Doweling System, with walnut dowels, to attach the tops. I was very impressed with their strength. Very strong!! After a coat of dewaxed shellac, and three coats of rattle-can poly, the products were delivered to their respective clients. Based on their smiles, I'd say that they are satisfied!!! :D

2340517640_91cfc9b688.jpg

Thanks for looking!

- Keith

Boy Keith, those are really great!

Satisfied clients is always a good thing! :D

Those kids will have the step stools the rest of their lives, I sure hope you dated and signed them :clap:

Great job for sure!

Also, kudos Steve, attention to detail and customer service is too often hard to find these days, nice to see someone doing it right! :thumb:

Thanks, Stu!! I did indeed brand the stools with my shop brand, and also epoxied a 2008 quarter below the brand. These are on the underside of the tops.

And, yes.....Steve did an amazing job!

- Keith

Nicely done and, it looks, very well apprciated! Stu is right - these will last a long time and are likely to be handed down to the next generation. I still have the step stool my grandfather made for me over 50 years ago, and I'll be handing it down someday.

Outstanding Keith! Wonderful idea and great execution.
Just remember, they can be used in the shop to help Dad!!

Wes

Amazing, my two year old would certainly enjoy one of those.... scribble, scribble.... hope you don't mind... scribble... if I sorta, kinda... err... take your idea. :type:

Very nice work. Keep it up. :thumb: