Can your plywood do this??

That pretty much explains how you're gonna be able to bend the pieces of the kayak. :) How thick is it? Is it special "bending ply"?

It 3mm Okoume marine plywood. Not bending ply, just very thin. It's hard to do anything with a full sheet it's so floppy. Thought about tying it in a knot and taking a photo. But this worked just as good.

Before you ask Okoume ( o-KUE-me), also known as Gaboon, is an African hardwood widely used in Europe over the past century.

At the shop we call that wood "wacky wood", since you can bend the stuff into a pretzel. Its pretty neat stuff. They have some other cool plywoods too like plastic cored plywood, which is this honeycomb looking plastic webbing inside two layers of birch veneer plywood outer cored. Most of it is to reduce weight so the boats go faster in the water? When you get into marine plywoods, you can run into some unique stuff.

Surprised no one else mentioned this, but it looks like that long piece is made from three shorter pieces joined on end. What sort of join and glue did you use that allow that to bend like that without breaking? :thumb:

Yeah, I know scarf joints, just couldn't really see well in the pic. I used scarf joints to make longer some 8' long ply into 15' long ply for a pirout I made several years ago, but I don't know that I would have trusted the joints to hold with that much bend. :D

Since this is for a boat, presuming that you used epoxy for the joint?

:rofl: Well it is a 1947 DeWalt GP. But the arm is just out of the way. That is the only surface in the shop, other than the floor, long enough to handle the glued up sheets.