PC 892 Fixed Base at Amazon $160

Jerry Palmer

Don't know if THIS is a really hot deal or not, but I've seen the motor alone for more. You gotta add to your cart to see the price, but you can not ooder or dump it or whatever.

I've got the 690 series plunge/fixed kit with the fixed base in the router table presently. Thinking of putting the fixed 892 in the router table for the extra HP and variable speed and using the 690 for hand held.

Someone over at Woodnet said that there had been some issues with the 8 series PC routers, and another fella advised that they had fixed the problem. Most of the issues involved the plunge base, but there have been some problems with the variable speed circuitry.

That Bosch looks like a good deal, and they have a table mount base for it. I'd need to drill a hole in the cast iron router table extension on the table saw for above the table the adjuster, but that shouldn't be a problem.

I noticed that the above the table adjuster for the PC went from $22 and change to $26 and change since yesterday, so the Bosch would be less than $20 more with the table mount base added in than the PC and adjuster.

I have the Bosch 1618EVS which is the 1617 with the "D" handle. The problem I see with mounting the Bosch in a table (if you use the standard Bosch base) is the way the fine adjustment works. On the Bosch, the fine adjustment is not continuous - you have detents to set the major location and then a screw that adjusts within a certain range.

The problem is that occasionally you hit the end of the range and have to make a detent change. So as you're working your way into the right setting on the table, you can hit that end stop and have to start all over again.

I also have the PC 890 and it has a continuous fine adjustment. That is, you can (if you want) adjust the height through the full range with the fine adjustment - you never hit a stop.

I'm not advocating either one but I'd suggest you get a continuous adjustment router for use in a table.

Mike

Well, Mike, I read your post too late. Ordered the Bosch with fixed base and got the last one at the cheaper price. Also ordered the under table base for it.

Jerry,

I think your are going to really like the Bosch. Once you use it, setting the "course" position will come easy. You can then fine tune it from above or below. :thumb:

The above the table adjuster requires a hole drilled in the tabletop and since it will be mounted in my cast iron router extension table of the Griz, I may try it for a while just using the lower adjuster.

Jerry,

I drilled a hole in my router plate so I could use the top adjustment. But before that..and sometimes still now...when I bend down to check the height change, I could just as easily use the base fine adjuster.