Laquer over bare maple?

Michael Ward

Hi, I'm new here.
I'm about to spray on clear gloss laquer over finely sanded hard maple (no stain). Is there anything I should be concerned about or any precautions?

I've built a top for a dining room buffet; in order to match the rest of the diningroom set I need to blow on a high-gloss clear laquer. I'm a little nervous about messing up about $200 worth of maple:eek:

THANKS!

Welcome aboard, Michael. :wave: I've used lacquer on turned maple pieces, and can't think of anything to warn you about. There are others here who know more about furniture finishing than I do, so I'll be interested to see what others might say.

Welcome to the Family Michael! :wave:

Do you not have any scraps left over?

I agree with Vaughn that there should be no issues, but I also agree that I'd not want to have to start over on $200 worth of wood.

Sand the scrap piece the same way you have the table, then try finishing it, and see what happens?

You might want to put a thinned coat of the finish on first, it will go into the wood and seal it up, so the next coat will not take as much product to cover it, the thinned coat will cost less than a regular coat (thinner is cheaper than Lacquer).

Lightly hand sand between coats, and make sure you really clean up the dust before you put the next coat on.

Good luck.

Stu

squirt it.......there`s no finish more workable than lacquer, it can be recoated as many times as you like or buffed to any sheen you desire.

Laquer

Thanks for all the information/suggestions... and for the welcome too!

Stuart, yes, I do have some scraps left. I don't even know why I didn't think about that. Just nervous about the upcoming spray-on I suppose.

Tod, can I buff the laquer with a random orbital buffer (the kind you use to polish a car), and do you know if the procedure is about the same, and should I let the laquer cure for a couple weeks first?

Working the wood isn't so much the issue with me... the chemistry is the issue.

Tod, can I buff the laquer with a random orbital buffer (the kind you use to polish a car), and do you know if the procedure is about the same, and should I let the laquer cure for a couple weeks first?

yup, and the 3-m compounds work well....it`s just messy and time consuming.

If I missed your first post, Welcome! I try to never apply a finish unless I know how it will act. Shoot a piece of scrap BUT, be sure the scrap has been sanded, etc. just like your top. It doesn't tell you much to test a finish on a piece of material that has been prepared differently. I make test boards and jot the sanding prep and finish protocol on the back for future general reference.

P.s. I would take Tod's advice in a heartbeat.

I do it all the time... no problem.

I have migrated to Target USL water base lacquer... still gives full burn in, but is even easier and more durable than the traditional nitrocellulose lacquer.

See www.plesums.com/wood/tips/finishing.html I am in the process of expanding the tutorial for my other site... if you have questions, drop me a note and I will be sure they are covered.

SUCCESS!!!

Success!
I want to thank you all of you who gave me advice! Here is the end result. Remember, I ONLY built the top to this buffet.
Thanks guys. I couldn't have done this without you and your knowledge.
The guy I made this for was very happy too.
(This was my first attempt at a piano finish. Hopefully the next one will be even better.)

buffettop003-1.jpg

buffettop001-1.jpg

Last edited:
I think you managed to get a exellent finish on it. Looks really good. I do enjoy natural maple with several coats of wb poly on it. It seems to bring out the grain.

Thanks Al. The background on this buffet is that the guy bought a diningroom set about 2 years ago. Originally, there was supposed to be some type of hutch on the buffet, but it was broken at the warehouse and he ended up getting the buffet at no charge. The buffet sat in its box in his garage since then. Eldar (the owner) and I were talking one day, somehow we got on the subject of woodworking... Thats how I managed to get to building this top for him. Also, thats why the factory packaging in the second photo.