Introduction

Barry Temple

Hi everyone. I just joined (thanks Vaughn!) and thought I'd better introduce myself. I live in London, Ontario, Canada. I've been woodworking for about 6 or 7 years - mostly flat work. About two years ago I got into turning - specifically pens for now. I'm in the process of building a dedicated shop. I'll post some pics in the shop tours section when I get a chance. It's 21 x 31 with a 9 1/2 foot ceiling. The building is done but now I have to paint and do the electrical. I have the perfect wife. I build things and she actually loves sanding and staining!! I'm hoping to retire early and use my woodworking to supplement my pension but I'm still 5 to 10 years away from that.

Thanks Ned. My current lathe is a mini Canadian Tire lathe. It's not the greatest but it gets the job done. That's why I have only done pens so far. I am currently looking for a grown-up lathe but the budget is pretty tight. It's amazing how fast you can blow through money when you're building a shop. I left my budget in the dust about $5,000.00 ago!!

Thanks Ned. My current lathe is a mini Canadian Tire lathe. It's not the greatest but it gets the job done. That's why I have only done pens so far. I am currently looking for a grown-up lathe but the budget is pretty tight. It's amazing how fast you can blow through money when you're building a shop. I left my budget in the dust about $5,000.00 ago!!

I'm not quite at that point... budget wise, but I'm over the budget for my shop and trying to figure out how I'm getting the roof on and the wiring done this spring. Check out my barn raising thread over in Carpentry and Construction for details.

but, yes, I DO understand about tool budgets evaporating when it comes time to build a shop. :doh:

Hi Barry,

Welcome to FWW! Glad to know your wife likes to finish-- me too. In the early years, when I asked my husband when he was planning to complete a project, he replied, "I'm the structural carpenter, and you're the finish carpenter." :huh: Oh...... ok.

So I learned to sand, stain, and finish, which was a great deal given that he built some wonderful pieces... and I got to do the easy part. ;)

What I didn't like to do was the prep. :p

Have fun,

--MJ