???? What kind of wood is this?

Jack Tanner

Here is a picture of a piece of 2X8 that I aquired and a small bowl I started. This stuff is as hard as a rock. I put it through my DeWalt 735 and didn't think it was going to go through, even with very thin cuts. I had to force the wood through. Does anyone have a clue as to what it is. I got it at a local sawmill that was closing down, it was in a stack of lumber that I bought. It is completely dried, been cut up for sometime. Hope you can see it ok. Thanks for looking, Jack

Hard to say from just a couple pics, but it does look a lot like the pear wood I have here. Pear also burns like maple does, like in that second pic. Pear is also on the hard side, kindof like maple. It also has the same color and grain as some cherry, could be cherry. It does look like one of the fruit woods though. Any idea if it is local or not? Did he import this stuff from Chile or somewhere?

Dave, I'm not sure where the wood came from, but it's harder than anything I've ever experenced. I've cut up a lot of oak, maple, cherry and others and never seen it this hard and dense. Wish I had a better picture for you. Jack

The red burn mark caught my eye and I first thought Cherry, But then you said you were experienced in Cherry. So then I thought of a number of different Fruit trees (which I feel it is) on in particular is Persimmon. Very hard similar in color and also will burn Red.

I'm gonna go out in left field here ...

Apple

Apple wood is fairly plain looking, kinda cherry like but not quite as much contrast between the grain. The pics kind of fit this description.

Your experience with its hardness really puts it out there. Apple is VERY hard wood.

So... that's my guess :)

Bill Frank Bernie, You may all be right, I do feel like it might be some type of fruit tree, although it would take a rather large fruit tree to produce a 2X8X8'. Oh well, I may never know for sure, but I think it will finish out pretty. Jack

Jack,
Does it have a smell when you turn it.. I've turned some pretty dry apple, cherry and some peach.. both seemed to have a fruity smell when turning.. each a little different..
I think cherry almost smells like cherries when you turn it.

I would hazard a guess as to say its not Apple or Cherry. Its too light to be Cherry and the grain is too big for Apple. Apple also burns black not red when hitting with any kind of blade. Jason is right though, Apple is hard wood. For comparison, the handle of this saw is Apple.

Its looks almost like Orange Wood, but I am thinking that Orange Trees are pretty far removed from Arkansas.

Shotened_Saw-small.JPG

"Its looks almost like Orange Wood, but I am thinking that Orange Trees are pretty far removed from Arkansas."

I have seen Orange wood and it is not orange in color. More of a white-ish color. Grapefruit (on the other hand) is a pale lime green.(don't know what color is a Lime tree) My B-I-L is on the lookout for someone felling a Grapefruit tree for me (Lives in Florida).

Some Maples are darker in color and often appear to be Cherry in color, Some cherry is rather light. Corn Fusion abounds, Eh(?)... :huh: It is a guess as good as another from a posted picture...:dunno: Species name is not as important as the end product and I'm sure a fine piece will evolve from the mystery wood

Some turner gave me some Orange Wood as he said the wood was too hard for him to work. I figure someday I will toss it on the sawmill and cleave it (burn it more then likely) into boards. That begs the question though...what the heck is an Orange Log doing in the state of Maine??:dunno::dunno:

I agree with you though, pictures on the internet are hard to decipher, but its still fun trying.

...I do feel like it might be some type of fruit tree, although it would take a rather large fruit tree to produce a 2X8X8'.

Some fruit trees can get pretty large... I have some apple slabs 24 inches wide. Yes apple is hard wood. It is also one of the most difficult to dry if you mill it from a log because it twists up like a pretzel no matter how much weight you put on the stack. When I mill apple I usually mill it 6/4 or 7/4 if I want 4/4 S4S because of how much it warps and twists.

I have never had any problems with the wood twisting or warping, but I have yet to saw a piece of apple that did not split, or crack at least along part of the wood even if it did not go all the way through. :dunno:

I'm going to hazard a guess that's different from everyone else's, Any chance you got a hold of some Black Locust? Extremely hard, I think it is the hardest domestic wood. Couldn't find any pics to compare, but I think it has a similar grain.

Grain is too tight for Black Locust... IMHO... :huh:

Travis, could that "Orange" log your friend gave you be an Osage Orange? (not to be confused with the fruit tree, Orange)Osage Orange is one heck of a hard wood, Orange or yellow in color (yellow when fresh cut but darkens Oranger to brown, as it ages) Also known as Hedge Apple...:huh:

I don't think so. I think it is a true honest to goodness orange tree that you get oranges from. It came from Florida I believe.